Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Does anyone know which is the last iPod to charge on the iPod Hi-Fi?

I tried hooking up my iPhone 5 to my Hi-Fi yesterday via the auxilary jack in the back...but the sound was just...off.

Not sure, but it did not sound as good as when i plug in my 5.5 gen video or is it just me?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
It should be the same sound... the last iPod to be able to charge from that should be the iPod classic. Essentially it's any iPod model that would charge from a Firewire cable.

To get the iPhone 5 to work with this, you would need two adapters: The Scoshe voltage adapter and the Dock-to-Lightning adapter. Your iPhone would be about 2 inches above the dock. :D

Try other equalizer presets. I like the "Electronic" one, regardless of the music I'm listening to.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
So the classic (those are the newer ones right? The ones that haven't been refreshed in years?) will work? It won't be an iphone 4 situation where say, I plug it in and it'll play music but won't charge?

What about bluetooth solutions? Anyone have any experience with the Hi-Fi + bluetooth adapters?

It's just that the iPhone 5 sounds very muddled when playing through the auxiliary jack...

I wonder if setting up an airport express would be a better solution?

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
The sound difference you heard will have been caused by the different audio chips used in these devices. The iPod Video 5th Gen uses the far superior Wolfson audio chip (the best ever used in an iDevice) whereas the iPhone 5 uses a cheaper and noticeably inferior Cirrus audio chip that has been used in all iDevices from the iPhone 3G, iPod Classic 6th Gen, iPod Touch 2nd Gen and iPod Nano 2nd Gen

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPhone 1st Gen Sealed, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I use my :apple:Hi-Fi a lot, i have a 5.5 gen ipod video, most of the time it is used in this, i also have my airport express connected via 3.5mm cable to the Hi-Fi for airplay music streaming and does a good job.

I have been thinking for months whether it is worth getting a dock converter for the H-Fi that will enable me to use my iphone 4S in it, but i'm thinking about a 5 soon, so it wouldn't be worth it, plus my 5.5 gen has my entire library on it so i'm happy there!

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
The sound difference you heard will have been caused by the different audio chips used in these devices. The iPod Video 5th Gen uses the far superior Wolfson audio chip (the best ever used in an iDevice) whereas the iPhone 5 uses a cheaper and noticeably inferior Cirrus audio chip that has been used in all iDevices from the iPhone 3G, iPod Classic 6th Gen, iPod Touch 2nd Gen and iPod Nano 2nd Gen

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPhone 1st Gen Sealed, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

Ah I didn't know that the videos used higher quality chips. Very interesting. Tested it again yesterday, and it was more of the same.

Good to know....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.