Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
what are some things to know before selling an iphone 5 on craigslist? the iphone is in pristine condition has been in a case since the day it was taken out of the box.
64gb white.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
what are some things to know before selling an iphone 5 on craigslist? the iphone is in pristine condition has been in a case since the day it was taken out of the box.
64gb white.

Explain those things in your ad. It will make your phone more appealing to buyers.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Things To Know Before Selling iPhone 5 on Craigslist???

Don't accept any offer, no matter how much, via PayPal or other online payment system. They can simply place a chargeback (claiming fraud that you never sent it to them, even if you did) and get their money back once you send them the iPhone.

Accept cash only, and do it in a very populated area like a starbucks / apple store.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
64gb white.

Meet in a neutral place, the more secure the better (police station, federal building with a public cafeteria etc). You're meeting a stranger that knows you have a device worth hundreds. They will want to hold and probably use the phone so be ready to hand it over before a cash exchange. Only accept cash of course. Erase all content and settings before the swap. Remove SIM card if applicable. Don't accept less than the agreed upon price if they try to pull that stunt.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
While meeting at a police station would probably be the safest, I've always met at either an Apple or cell carrier store.

That way it's easy for the buyer to check/ confirm it works, that the ESN is still good, it can be activated right there and, if at an Apple Store during a slow time, a genius can even give it glance over.

As the seller, it not only made the sale easier since the buyer had less worries, but it's still a public place with plenty of people around for security and the store is generally willing to exchange the money for me (big bills into smaller ones, etc.).

Otherwise, the rest of the advice holds - be firm on your price and use common sense (don't meet them alone in a shady part of town at 2AM).

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
A buddy of mine bought an iPhone 5 on Craigslist. He inspected it for about 15 mins before buying it.

Got home realized the battery doesn't hold a good charge.

Can he do anything legal? Circuit Court? Police? Or nothing fraudulent was done

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
A buddy of mine bought an iPhone 5 on Craigslist. He inspected it for about 15 mins before buying it.

Nothing at all, even if something fraudulent was done....the chance of police or anyone helping you legally is 0 because most likely you paid cash and have no proof besides a few text messages that don't explain anything because odds are the seller used a "disposable" number [gvoice, text+, text now etc etc].

Get the battery replacement and take it as a lesson learned when buying used items locally. Its not something that happens everyday but its the chances one has to take that should something not work, you your self are responsible.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

Define good charge.

It's well known that batteries deteriorate with usage and age and, when buying a used phone, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

That said, if your friend was inspecting and using the phone for 15 minutes, they should have been able to notice something was up then. If they couldn't, it sounds more like bad cell signal or something they've done that is killing the battery quickly.

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Battery on a used phone will obviously not be the same as when it was new. You friend inspected the phone, liked it and bought it. The seller did nothing wrong. I don't expect great battery on a used old phone.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If the iPhone is running iOS 7, make sure to turn off Activation Lock/Find My iPhone so that the buyer doesn't have any issues setting it up if you guys do agree to the sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.