Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1
festus
macrumors newbie

Transferring Data from old hard drive to new Mac

The motherboard died on my 7 year old MacBook Pro. A friend removed the hard drive off the old laptop and suggested I get a docking station to transfer my old files to the new MacBook Pro I'm getting. Not sure if this matters, but I was running Snow Leopard on the old Mac and the new one will have Lion.

Will any dock with these specs to the trick?: 2.5"/3.5" SATA to USB 2.0
festus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
The motherboard died on my 7 year old MacBook Pro. A friend removed the hard drive off the old laptop and suggested I get a docking station to transfer my old files to the new MacBook Pro I'm getting. Not sure if this matters, but I was running Snow Leopard on the old Mac and the new one will have Lion.

If there is a lot of stuff to transfer you might be better off getting a USB 3 as it is quicker. Thunderbolt docks are more expensive, but again would be a faster data transfer option. Plus you can continue to use your old drive as a back up or external.
Something like this will match your needs (as well as looking nice IMHO)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-111StU3-W...=usb+3+docking
Old Jun 15, 2013, 02:42 AM   #3
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post

If all you want to do is to connect your 2.5in drive to your new MacBook, then look for something like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-61883...o+sata+adapter.

I wouldn't think you will have a transfer problem if you use Migration Assistant to do the change.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:55 AM   #4
festus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
If there is a lot of stuff to transfer you might be better off getting a USB 3 as it is quicker. Thunderbolt docks are more expensive, but again would be a faster data transfer option. Plus you can continue to use your old drive as a back up or external.
Something like this will match your needs (as well as looking nice IMHO)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-111StU3-W...=usb+3+docking
That is a nice looking dock. I ended up ordering a Thermaltake BlacX Duet ST0014U through Walmart's site to store service to save on postage, etc. For the long term I'll probably look into the Thunderbolt as you suggested. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:07 AM   #5
festus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsox View Post
If all you want to do is to connect your 2.5in drive to your new MacBook, then look for something like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-61883...o+sata+adapter.

I wouldn't think you will have a transfer problem if you use Migration Assistant to do the change.
Very nice. I had no idea something this straightforward existed. I've already ordered a docking station but will definitely keep this in mind for future reference. For the most part I'll be transferring WORD and PDF docs. I'd also like to transfer MS WORD off the old hard drive too and will use Migration Assistant if it does that. Thanks so much for your help.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help