Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Apr 20, 2014, 05:41 PM   #126
ArthurWellsley
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
One thing I'm liking about WOT are all of these bonus xp programs (or whatever they are called) that throws out any where from 25-100k xp. I've been playing for 1.5 years and I want to say this is something that was not around when I first started.

Regarding XVM I looked at it a while back but could not find adequate documentation on how to configure it. I wanted to see player stats and it's projection of win/loss. One less thing to miss?
Automatic configuration based on tick boxes, very easy to use;

http://www.odemmortis.com/index.php?site=files&file=98
ArthurWellsley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:27 AM   #127
garnerx
macrumors regular

I'm getting a bit fed up of this game. I've only seen the new map from 8.11 one single time, and this latest version has really dark lighting that makes tanks look like silhouettes from certain angles. Servers have slowed down - played last night and got a 300ms ping, which is barely playable.

Matchmaking keeps putting my tier 3 tanks in with tier 5s, which isn't a great experience.

I'm still doing okay, though. I have 2,200 battles, 5,000 rating, 53% wins, 40% survival, 1.8 kill/death ratio across all tanks.
garnerx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014, 01:17 PM   #128
Huntn
macrumors 604

By the sounds of this forum.worldoftanks.com link it sounds like hit box skins have been made illegal as of v9.0, as far as the developers are concerned. I liked them, needing any advantage I can get. Anyone, know any different?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 07:36 AM   #129
SCOLANATOR
macrumors 6502a

Been playing since closed Beta. While definitely the servers have been pretty rocky recently a 300ms ping is probably due to problems on your end. I have never experienced a ping like that (except from the beta days when we had to use the Russian servers). I never go above 90ms while on WiFi and usually sit around 60ms.

Don't use hitbox skins, if you are needing to improve your performance use XVM, simply provides you with more information. Hitbox skins are pretty pathetic, I have learnt all the weak spots - most are inherent to each class or nation.

I like the 9.0 update, I play on my Mac and it runs well (I disable motion blur as well as grass in sniper mode).

Yeh I still remember the day x2 XP for first win of the day was introduced. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I do miss the days of old school WoT, good old ruskies vs germans, no physics, getting stuck all the time but boy was it fun.

Also Havok physics and some multicore support was introduced with 9.0. The tracks of all the HD models have Havok physics support I believe and it looks great. I have a few models in HD like the M103 and T-54. Can't wait to see the others!
SCOLANATOR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 11:31 AM   #130
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnerx View Post
I'm getting a bit fed up of this game. I've only seen the new map from 8.11 one single time, and this latest version has really dark lighting that makes tanks look like silhouettes from certain angles. Servers have slowed down - played last night and got a 300ms ping, which is barely playable.

Matchmaking keeps putting my tier 3 tanks in with tier 5s, which isn't a great experience.

I'm still doing okay, though. I have 2,200 battles, 5,000 rating, 53% wins, 40% survival, 1.8 kill/death ratio across all tanks.
I consider myself a duffer. Ten thousand battles and ( I think) an average win rate at 48%. I frequently make stupid mistakes like exposing myself to get a kill shot and frequently dying for that folly. Most frustrating is when PUG teams dissolve around me over and over. Now that I'm not using skins, I shoot for ports or hatches with good success. There are a few tanks that are actually better to shoot in the turret. I have a list of those.
Old May 9, 2014, 08:57 AM   #131
garnerx
macrumors regular

I'm approaching 1,000 games in my FCM36 tank destroyer now. 57% wins in that, I think, and better than 3:1 kill ratio. There are so many tanks, I can't remember where the weakspots are. I try to destroy the tracks first, so I can kill them at my leisure.

Sometimes, though, tracking them is the best I can do - I've had matches with tier 6 vs tier 10, and that's just ridiculous. Even 3 vs 5 can be annoying. It's like being forced to play Call of Duty with a pistol against a bunch of people wearing kevlar vests and carring bazookas. I know you can still 'contribute' something but it's not much fun - the worst aspect of the game for me.

Haven't encountered any huge pings again recently, but everyone on the server was complaining about the 300ms one. Still think the new lighting engine is much too dark, and the sound is dreadful - surround doesn't seem to be supported, engines can barely be heard unless the camera is very close, and exploding tanks make a weedy 'pop' noise.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 09:12 AM   #132
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I'm approaching 1,000 games in my FCM36 tank destroyer now. 57% wins in that, I think, and better than 3:1 kill ratio. There are so many tanks, I can't remember where the weakspots are. I try to destroy the tracks first, so I can kill them at my leisure.

Sometimes, though, tracking them is the best I can do - I've had matches with tier 6 vs tier 10, and that's just ridiculous. Even 3 vs 5 can be annoying. It's like being forced to play Call of Duty with a pistol against a bunch of people wearing kevlar vests and carring bazookas. I know you can still 'contribute' something but it's not much fun - the worst aspect of the game for me.

Haven't encountered any huge pings again recently, but everyone on the server was complaining about the 300ms one. Still think the new lighting engine is much too dark, and the sound is dreadful - surround doesn't seem to be supported, engines can barely be heard unless the camera is very close, and exploding tanks make a weedy 'pop' noise.
I don't care if it is a scout, I don't believe a 6 should ever be playing with a 10, although usually there are a few tanks you can pen and you can perform scout duties. I fave no idea why it's not a 3 tier spread always. Another critique, if I have not all ready mentioned it, although I accept it as a means of organizing a game, the tier system introduces a major artificiality to the game. I recently signed up for the Armored Warfare beta and am looking forward to see how they do it.
Old May 9, 2014, 04:56 PM   #133
garnerx
macrumors regular

Being a scout isn't what I play the game for. I've seen people do it really well and get huge assist points, but I'm good at tank destroyers so that's what I want to play. When I get matched against higher tier tanks I'm handicapped by the game, so it spoils my fun.

I'd love to get a tier 10 tank, so at least I know that if I constantly bounce shots off the enemy then it's because of my lack of skill rather than the enemy being too tough for my gun. It's a long way off, though. Such a grind.

Armored Warfare looks interesting. From a maker of RPGs - I wonder how that will work out.
Edit: I see it's built with CryEngine - if nothing else it's going to look so much better than WoT.
Old May 22, 2014, 05:57 PM   #134
garnerx
macrumors regular

I finally uninstalled the game. I used to really like it but now it just makes me angry.

* The players are extremely unpleasant on the in-game chat - 'f u noob', 'idiot team', 'learn to play, retards', etc, etc...
* The matchmaking is terrible - today I saw a squad with tier 1 and tier 4, matched in a game of tier 7s.
* The graphics look much worse than before the last patch.
* At least 1 game in 3 has idle players or bots sitting at the base, shooting into the floor.
* The devs are always rebalancing (nerfing) something I liked.
* They've never fixed the performance - it still runs like a dog and the surround sound is broken (flicks between speakers, doesn't pan correctly)

And other reasons. I hit 1,000 games in the FCM36, though, so it's a good point to quit. Still have gold in my account, unfortunately. Maybe I'll return some day.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:49 AM   #135
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I finally uninstalled the game. I used to really like it but now it just makes me angry.

* The players are extremely unpleasant on the in-game chat - 'f u noob', 'idiot team', 'learn to play, retards', etc, etc...
* The matchmaking is terrible - today I saw a squad with tier 1 and tier 4, matched in a game of tier 7s.
* The graphics look much worse than before the last patch.
* At least 1 game in 3 has idle players or bots sitting at the base, shooting into the floor.
* The devs are always rebalancing (nerfing) something I liked.
* They've never fixed the performance - it still runs like a dog and the surround sound is broken (flicks between speakers, doesn't pan correctly)

And other reasons. I hit 1,000 games in the FCM36, though, so it's a good point to quit. Still have gold in my account, unfortunately. Maybe I'll return some day.
I'm not ready to quit, but I have applied for the Armored Warfare beta which should start this year. The T1+T4 platoon example was a failed platoon. You can't blame the match maker if the Tier 4 tank was a light tank, because the upper tank in the platoon was matched to a standard 4 tier (scout) spread. And I have been known to criticize my team with "idiot" and "noob" if they are doing obviously idiotic and/or noobish things.

Like leaving a flank undefended or with an encounter battle in town, all heavies should report to the vicinity of the flag, not be running around the perimeter of the map, not playing in the field or in the pass. This is not a blanket rule, but based on specific maps of which their names elude me. I watched this the other day and despite encouragement, the match was lost by the time the 2 heavies finally got to where the battle was taking place.

For this map, in encounter mode with flag in town, the fight is definitely in town. To often tanks in the pass get bogged down while the battle is decided in town:

Last edited by Huntn; May 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 25, 2014, 07:41 PM   #136
Huntn
macrumors 604

I'd like to know if there is anyone playing WoT on a MacBook Air (Bootcamp) what kind of performance do you get? Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:17 AM   #137
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Played this game last night for the first time. Considering the focus it's a great game.
I just watched the anime "Girls und Panzer" on Crunchyroll. After watching it, you definitely feel like playing some "World of Tanks" .

Edit: Think of it as a cross between a girl's high school, the movie "The Bad News Bears" and competition between WWII tanks. They used 3DCGI modeling for parts of the tank battles and did a good job modeling the interior/operation and exterior of the different tank models. In one battle, a Japanese type 89B shot point blank into the rear of a Matilda and couldn't kill it .

Last edited by Plutonius; Sep 18, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Tags
multiplayer, tank, tanks, world of tanks