Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The whole thinner imac thing is stupid. It provided zero benefits and but did have so many compromises that really make this product less useful than it could have been.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Surely an even thinner iMac is an even better candidate for wall mounting as well?!

If it were flat like a ATD, yes. But at the thickest point, the 2012 iMac is similar to the 2011, and oddly shaped to boot.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
The wall mount makes little sense with its shape, however why the **** did Apple take VESA away? Swing arm desk mount anyone?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I agree. This form over function nonsense is infuriating.

Seriously if they keep giving us this nonsense atleast offer something like this for people who don't care about the form factor of their desktop. I don't want to spend extra money for a form factor that provides zero benefit to me and neither do businesses. I also don't need a behemoth tower and server chips (outdated ones at that) like the mac pro. I am tired of paying all this extra money just for a useless form factor.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/xps-8500/pd?~ck=mn

heck even this would be great. Even the base mode at $329.99 is faster than the mac mini and has plenty of power for the average user.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-660s/pd
inspiron-660s-CS.png

Last edited:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Only option left is the ugly mounts that utilise the hole in the stand to hold the iMac, they look damn ugly floating with the stand still attached though.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
Only option left is the ugly mounts that utilise the hole in the stand to hold the iMac, they look damn ugly floating with the stand still attached though.

The other problem with these is that you're limited on how low you can go.

I was really planning to spend over 3k on a max spec'ed iMac. Guess I'll be exploring my options but a new iMac with this limitation won't be happening.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Yet another reason to not buy an iMac. How could they not think that removing the ability to mount these things is a bad idea?

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I received an answer from Apple today after asking them about VESA mounting in the new iMacs. Not happy with the answer. Sorry to all of you with expensive mounts you were hoping to use with your new iMacs!

http://www.mactrast.com/2012/12/apple-confirms-new-27-inch-imac-does-not-support-vesa-mounting/

Very disappointing.

The Apple rep did say "at this time" in her reply. You left that phrase out.

Apple could decide to add a VESA mount as a BTO option later. It looks like retrofitting an existing iMac to use any future VESA adapter would not be a "user serviceable" operation.

Apple knows how many iMacs they sold in the past, and how many VESA adapters they sold. Maybe it's a tiny niche accessory that isn't worth their trouble.

Very disappointing for some customers, for sure. I hope some other company comes up with an adapter that can replace the standard foot. It would probably be kind of expensive.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I am sooooo glad I decided to save a few buck and go with a 2011 refurb. I am very happy with it. Installed an internal SSD and some more ram and it cranks along pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.