Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
London
So after just under a week of using beta 4, I've come to the conclusion that battery life on iOS7 is better than on iOS6.

A day using iOS6 on my iPhone 5 would usually leave the battery on around 30-40% depending on how much I used it.

However on iOS7 (beta 4) my battery life seems to be greatly improved. Not once this week has my battery fallen below 50%, and today when I plugged it into charge it was on 66%.

I reckon the fact that I have Reduced Motion turned on is partly the reason, but has anyone else found that battery life is better than iOS6?

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
I've already posted about this, but yes. Battery life in beta 4 with zero battery saving tricks is better than all previous betas and iOS 6.

I wasn't expecting that at all...

philfry

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I actually got 10 hours of usage with 12 hours standby on the latest full charge on ios 7. I think that's pretty decent.

Campbellot

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
Not even close. Battery life is MISERABLE on 7b4. Lucky if I get 5 hours usage and that is with a completely clean install.

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
It depends on a number of factors and what services you have turned on or off. I get excellent battery life on my Beta 4 iPhone 5 but everyone's mileage will vary.

Regardless, if you don't have a bunch of auto updates and push notifications turned on, you can expect equal, if not better, better performance compared to iOS6 in iOS7.

I think that's a pretty damn good accomplishment when you consider all the new features. And it's even better if the leaks are correct and the new iPhone will indeed have a battery with a 10% increase in size.

alanjfrancis

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Stafford, UK
I am at my caravan without service at the moment. Only having wifi. Usually I'd have had to place the phone in airplane mode or suffer dreadful power drain of about 60 % overnight while my phone would continually search if a signal on iOS 6. On iOS7 it's much improved. Since yesterday afternoon until this morning, airplane mode has been off and my phone constantly searching fir a signal. I still have 69% battery life left. #

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Now that I read a bit more, I do have some things off that may be battery saving:

I don't push any mail, I have it Fetch every 30. All auto-updates and auto-downloads are off.

I don't use constant-on Location using apps - like Google Now, Dropbox auto-upload, etc.

I don't allow non-essential apps into the Notifications center, but nearly all apps have at least Banners swinging and the more serious ones have Alerts.

That's about it! Nothing else is restricted, as I do want a full experience. I'm amazed at the battery life, and I'm impressed with the quick progress Apple has made so far.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
London
Now that I read a bit more, I do have some things off that may be battery saving:

I don't push any mail, I have it Fetch every 30. All auto-updates and auto-downloads are off.

I don't use constant-on Location using apps - like Google Now, Dropbox auto-upload, etc.

I don't allow non-essential apps into the Notifications center, but nearly all apps have at least Banners swinging and the more serious ones have Alerts.

That's about it! Nothing else is restricted, as I do want a full experience. I'm amazed at the battery life, and I'm impressed with the quick progress Apple has made so far.

Yeah, I'm the same as this, plus using Reduce Motion, but I used all these same settings (minus Reduce Motion obviously) in iOS 6 and my battery life is still way better than 6. Very happy with how iOS 7 is progressing!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As always, beta or not, iOS 7 or not, battery life is often different for different people and even at different times and different places.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I've already posted about this, but yes. Battery life in beta 4 with zero battery saving tricks is better than all previous betas and iOS 6.

I wasn't expecting that at all...

No way does b4 give better battery life than a polished ios6. It's not even better than b3

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I've been on iOS 6 (all versions) and 7b1, and 7b4.

here is my ranking:

ios 6.1.4 > 7b4 >>>>> 7b1

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Beta 4 is AMAZING on my battery. I have never been able to really get full usage out of my phone for an entire day. Bought a battery case and everything to solve that problem.

Beta 4 retired the case. I can go the entire day, and usually still be above the 20% by the time I plug into the wall.

Normal day of usage

Normal social media usage (twitter, fb, Instagram)

If I'm driving I've been using the maps app just to see the changes.

Most days an hour at the gym. Music and nike running all going for the majority of the time.

Not too crazy with texting but it's a part of each day obviously.

Email is not set to push but I do check it and send out multiple a day.

Loving iOS 7 beta 4 battery life! I hope this is signs of an amazing GM battery life.

----------

No way does b4 give better battery life than a polished ios6. It's not even better than b3

Yes way. HUGE difference. No comparison really.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
So after just under a week of using beta 4, I've come to the conclusion that battery life on iOS7 is better than on iOS6.

A day using iOS6 on my iPhone 5 would usually leave the battery on around 30-40% depending on how much I used it.

However on iOS7 (beta 4) my battery life seems to be greatly improved. Not once this week has my battery fallen below 50%, and today when I plugged it into charge it was on 66%.

I reckon the fact that I have Reduced Motion turned on is partly the reason, but has anyone else found that battery life is better than iOS6?

I think it largely depends on people and how people using their phones. For me, i haven't notice too much of battery difference. When I am using iPad, i follow my usual usage pattern, book reading, web broswing, watching video online. For most party, battery life isn't changed much.

Other reason that I don't notice much change is because I always keep my iPad pluged most of time. I have habbit of plug in when it reach to 50%. I cannot let my iPad below 50% of battery for some unexplianed reason.

emckai

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
In my opinion the whole battery issue seems to be a mentality issue. There are some who may truly have problems with their battery life but the rest might be using their phones more than usual. iOS 7 is something new and everyone wants to use it constantly because.. Well it's something new!
I'm getting the same battery life on iOS 6 and iOS 7. If you use your phone the same way then your battery will most likely last the same as iOS 6. Once again , that's my opinion

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
My only gripe is my 4s its going off at 10% most of the time :confused: i do notice better battery life considering i have my brightness a but higher plus 5 emails pushing and a damm load of push apps.

janjua43

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
My only gripe is my 4s its going off at 10% most of the time :confused: i do notice better battery life considering i have my brightness a but higher plus 5 emails pushing and a damm load of push apps.

develop the habit of fully charging and discharging ur phone then it wont go off before 1 or 2%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.