Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Anyone else notice this? I am doing the same things but now my battery barely last from 8-4 each day before I have to recharge it and sometimes have to charge it 2 times a day

Not doing anything different

FDouk

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
I am going through the same exact thing, 7 am 100% by 8:30 its allready at 83% without me even using it.

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Yup, same thing here.

I've deleted my exchange accounts and added them back, made sure apps downloaded after the upgrade have notifications turned off. Still getting pretty rough battery drainage.

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Not Jailbroken.

Settings prior to and after update: WiFi On (also reset network settings after update), Bluetooth Off, Location Services Off

On average with my usage I still had around 70% at the end of the day. After the 6.1.2 update it dropped down to around 45%.

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
How many bars of cell service? Is it a solid 5?

Nothing has changed as far as cell service goes in terms of bars and I'm mostly either at home (3 bars) or work (5 bars) just as I was prior to the update. Reset Airports, both in home and at work as well in the event it had something to do with wifi. I will be traveling for work tomorrow so I'll keep an eye on it to see if anything changes.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Not just the 5, my 4 is burning through almost 80 percent during my work day of hardly any use. Maybe I read a few emails and texts that's it. I used to be able to go from 7 am until 11 pm and still have 30 or 40 percent left. Now sometimes before 3 in the afternoon I am below 30 percent. Its terrible

pcubed18

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Terrible for me too. I tried everything. I have never had a drain this bad.
I'm in shock apple has not released an update yet.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
This is what I am getting. 14 hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 89

balbrt1

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
I had waited until yesterday to update to 6.1.2 I watched the boardsto see if anything show up that was bad about the update..I guess I missed this post :)
I updated my iPhone 4S, my husbands iphone 4 and my I pad 2. Now all 3 of them are draining their batteries bad..I there nothing we can do? Anyway to roll back to 6.1? I forgot to say all of my IOS is not jailbroke

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Have you guys cycled your device? That is run it 100% down and all the way back up again.

And do a hard reset before then, hold home button+power button until you see the Apple boot logo again.

That's helped for me when I'm noticing more drain on one charge than another.

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Have you guys cycled your device? That is run it 100% down and all the way back up again.

And do a hard reset before then, hold home button+power button until you see the Apple boot logo again.

That's helped for me when I'm noticing more drain on one charge than another.

I essentially did that (phone died overnight while in standby by going from ~70% - 0). Did soft and hard resets, still chugging through the power like crazy.

I had to turn cellular data off so that I could keep the phone working for phone and texting usage. I'm trying a restore via iTunes to see if that helps.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Why enquire if the OP is jailbroken ?

Nope stock IP5 and same results

----------

That's helped for me when I'm noticing more drain on one charge than another.[/QUOTE

Several times so Yep!

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
My iPhone 5's battery life hasn't changed for the better or worse since I updated to 6.1.2. It's not jailbroken.

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Did a restore via iTunes, still bad battery drain. Also wiped everything and then added back an Exchange email account. Still bad.

My guess is that it's the push notifications. The worst part for me is that things were fine before the update.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I just bought a iPhone 5 yesterday. I'm not using ActiveSync (or at least as it is tied to Gmail or Outlook) since my current gmail account was used w/ a Android phone and not my new iPhone. Hence, no push email for it.

I'm solely using iCloud for my mail, having my Gmail forward to iCloud. I've turned my new phone on at 6AM at 93%, and as 12:30PM EST I have 72%. Mind you my battery hasn't even gone through a full drain/charge cycle.

I'm perfectly content.

Last edited:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Why enquire if the OP is jailbroken ?

Possibly to isolate the issue? BTW---it's 'inquire'.

Way to go using "Notes" for 14 hours man, good job.

I think we'll send you a check because that is just a fantastic way... to ruin a day.

:)

Not sure what your point is---he/she was contributing to a battery drain thread. How would you know what apps he/she is or isn't using?

To the OP--We've got two iPhone 5s and a 4s. All three have been updated and if anything, I'm noticing a bit better battery life....on all three. You may want to stop in to an Apple store if you have one locally. Unless you're doing a ton of gaming on your phone--it should easily last an entire day. I'm using mine for calls (+/- 45 minutes talk time)...a couple dozen texts through the day, couple hands of poker :)....maybe a movie trailer or two, and several references to Evernote...I leave the house @ 4am and I'm home by 1-2pm with about 75% battery remaining. I can easily last an entire day and have 50% remaining (by 8pm in the evening).

I think there may be an issue with your phone. I have location services on, B/T off, Push Mail is always on for my .me account. Most places I'm spending time have excellent LTE service (4/5 bars).

We've also got several iPads in the family--all have been updated, none are experiencing more or less battery drain than previous OS update. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...but again, if handy--a quick stop by the Apple store could reveal an issue (or not) via their testing suite.

Good Luck!

PS---Mophie just released their battery cases. They're very nice (we had them for our 4 and 4s'es). I was planning initially to buy one for my 5 when they dropped...but I've been very happy with my battery life and I absolutely love the look and feel of my iPhone 5 in it's birthday suit:)

My Galaxy Note (1) is an entirely different story---I can drop from 100% to 50% by 10am! Ouch!!!
J

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Possibly to isolate the issue? BTW---it's 'inquire'.

Thank you for the pick up there Dude.

These are two spellings of the same word, which means to seek information about something or to conduct a formal investigation (usually when followed by “into”). The corresponding noun is enquiry or inquiry.
Either spelling can be used, but many people prefer enquire and enquiry for the general sense of “ask”, and inquire and inquiry for a formal investigation:
I enquired his name
The first enquiry in my inbox today was about lost property.
We are going to inquire into the incident.
The lawyers asked when the inquiry will be completed.
In practice, enquire and enquiry are more common in British English, and inquire and inquiry are more common in US English, for both informal questions and formal investigations. However, the Guardian (a British newspaper) tells writers to “use inquiry” and the Oxford English Dictionary seems to recognise inquire as the more dominant form, deeming enquiry:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I've decided to just live with the phone as it is instead of wondering why the battery drain is so noticeable yet random.

I have a charger for the car, by my bed, at my home computer, at my work computer and I even bought a Duracell portable charger which supplies the phone up to about 75% recharge for $20!

As such, I can always be charging wherever I go and not worry about the draining issues.

Also of note, even though it drains (I typically get 4.5 to 5 hours estimated), when not near a charger my phone use has not drained it to the point of turning off, so really my normal use is covered and the charging habits just keep me in good spirits!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.