Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:33 PM   #26
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
For that price why not include the short cables like they have pictured?
I also wish they had a 3-device rack.
Absolutely. Silly marketing choice.

But for your other post, this is the key difference, from the specs:
Quote:
10 watts (5 volts DC @ 2.1 amps) for each charging bay
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:09 PM   #27
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by yod View Post
A burglar's dream - a couple grands in iOS devices neatly packed together ready to be taken.
And with the included USB to lightning cables, the theif can be restorin’ your iDevices moments after he gets home
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:14 PM   #28
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukkee24 View Post
You've started your post with exactly why the cables are not included, because it's not just aimed at iOS products but any product that charges via USB, which means many different cables can be used - even if it was iOS, it's still lightning or 30-pin, which would they give you?
Well, if they're marketing it specifically as an iOS device charging bay, which they seem to be doing, then it would be nice if they would include short iOS style cables to get you started. Agreed about lightning vs 30-pin though. They'd have to pick one. The price point could be higher to reflect the additional cost, and it would be justifiable.

Since they don't include the cables, they shouldn't be advertising it as an iOS device charger. And it should be cheaper.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:43 PM   #29
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Absolutely. Silly marketing choice.

But for your other post, this is the key difference, from the specs:
I am sure you can find a USB hub that will provide the appropriate power.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:03 PM   #30
needfx
macrumors 68020

iToasted
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:38 PM   #31
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I am sure you can find a USB hub that will provide the appropriate power.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Not consumer level models, just the 16-port or higher "carts" for schools or whatever. You made me curious enough to search a little, let's see:
  • Newer Tech. Claims 2.1a capability, but actually only one port supports a 10" tab.
  • This one is 8 ports, so I was slightly off. But I can't seem to find a date. Betting it is more $$$ than the Griffin, as it appears to fall in the more industrial-level "cart" group.
  • Here is one for 2 devices in a car. That's a start. But one review claims it can't even handle charging one Galaxy Tab when the Tab is on. I'll bet it's not actually better than my dual-car-charger that only claims to provide for one large tablet. Unless it's one of those designed-for-Apple issues and is only providing the Samsung .5a. You'd think there would be a home version, maybe I missed it.
  • I have some no name wall-wart-style charger with 4 USBs from Amazon, which claims to handle 2 iPads, but reviews say it burns out charging 2 iPads or 4 phones. I've only used it for up to 3 smaller devices to avoid burning it out. (didn't bother with a link)
  • I've looked through a few wall receptacles, too. But they all seem to stop at 2.1a total rating, not each port. Example.
  • Here's a power strip with 4 USB. Still only one 2.1a.

I would love to see one, don't get me wrong. But all these companies have pretty clearly relied on the standard USB spec of .5a. Remember when PCs were shipping with ports that couldn't even supply that? And people couldn't charge their smartphones well. I think the Griffin is the first.

For the Griffin that is the topic, I'd be interested if it was about $60 max, with some cables. Even if the cables weren't exactly what I needed, at least they'd be trying.

For my house, we've gotten the kids 7" tabs, so I don't really need 2.1a for every slot in a multi-port charger, but the typical .5a isn't really enough, either.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:04 PM   #32
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a

There was something similar on Lifehacker the other week:

Mike Oxard is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #33
snebes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMF View Post
total fail.

this is just a fancy looking USB multiplier. does not come with short cables. when i clicked on the article i was hoping it was something like: http://www.xtrememac.com/en-US/produ...cking-station/
I didn't know this thing existed. And in a 3-device version... tempting....
snebes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:14 PM   #34
Lukkee24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Well, if they're marketing it specifically as an iOS device charging bay, which they seem to be doing, then it would be nice if they would include short iOS style cables to get you started. Agreed about lightning vs 30-pin though. They'd have to pick one. The price point could be higher to reflect the additional cost, and it would be justifiable.

Since they don't include the cables, they shouldn't be advertising it as an iOS device charger. And it should be cheaper.
Yeah I wasn't sure what they were marketing it as. The short cables would definitely be great though, but $99 still seems a lot.
Lukkee24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:17 PM   #35
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

I have a power strip with 3 USB chargers that came with my iPhone, iPod, and iPad. I didn't spend any extra money to accomplish this 'feat'.

Sorry but $99, another overpriced item.

What's with people making such high priced items? And what's with people buying these?

Stop giving in. I'm sure most are putting it on your credit cards adding to your debt. What a waste!
unplugme71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #36
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
So
so bloddy Xpensive

it cud charge anything but then you knew android users wont pay such money
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:04 PM   #37
centauratlas
macrumors 6502a

For a large number of devices one would need a bunch of really short cables to avoid a huge tangled mess. ;-)
centauratlas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:01 PM   #38
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Build a modular dock with adapters for Lightning and 30pin and micro SD etc. Make it out of aluminum so it can be heavy for one hand docking/removal. Then charge $99 + $29 for each additional add-on dock.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:30 AM   #39
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by yod View Post
A burglar's dream - a couple grands in iOS devices neatly packed together ready to be taken.
Precisely; forget about heading for the jewelry in the bedroom, head for the charger in the kitchen. LOL
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:10 AM   #40
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

A lot of haters on this forum lol.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:41 AM   #41
Susannelet
macrumors newbie

Powerdock 5 Falls Short

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	729.7 KB
ID:	424103Well being a house of 4 iPhones and an iPad I thought this was an answer to my prayers…
I liked the USB option so it could grow with our future upgrades as Apple seems to be into change charging ports… Also could charge my Jawbra car speaker..my Kindle.. my camera… versitle.. I liked the options...Looked good to me…
Well just received mine yesterday (mind you I also secured a $15 disc and free shipping so not much more than other multi charging stations out there)….
Lets just say that the photos are much more tidy than the reality…. You really need the 6″ cables instead of the standard issue charging cables…. Gets all tangled with extra cord lengths… They don’t stay in the slots by themselves. The plastic dividers pop out from time to time due to the extra cords being jammed in w phones. The charge cord has a heavy box/converter that the fine cord plugs into that the picture does not show…. Better design would have made the power box/converter to hide beneath the stand… Nope.. Have to put on counter and put unit in front if it.. Bulky and again messy presentation compared to how it is pictured.
So good idea… Needs more development in design and needs short cords included if promoting for iPhone use or at least come with a starter pack and sell additional.
Wait for Version 2 is my suggestion…
Susannelet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #42
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

no wires? that high price? really? too hard for me to buy this thing.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion