Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Lacie 2big Thunderbolt Noisy fan

I recently bought a Lacie 2big 6tb Thunderbolt which I have running beside my iMac. I gotta say Iīm disappointed, the tiny noisy fan is annoying. Itīs sad upgrading to a silent 2012 imac and suddenly have more sound than I had earlier because of a silly external HDD. It is supposed to have a intelligent fan that runs like the iMacīs depending on heat, but I have only noticed it being on when the HDD is on and once it goes to sleep the fan shuts off - thatīs it. Also once its on for a tiny task, it keeps fanning for like 20 mins before going to sleep state again.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2big Lacie Thunderbolt drive? If thereīs anything I can do so the fan behaves more silent, either with some software or settings telling it to shut up faster or getting the fan to spin more intelligently?

Currently Iīm considering getting rid of it and replace it with a more silent type...like the WD Thunderbolt My Book - even if it is a slower crappier HD - at least its silent. Itīs sad though, as its an expensive HDD and suppose to be good.
Or maybe someone has some other recommendations for external Thunderbolt HDDīs that are silent?

Any input is appreciated!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcLovin View Post
I recently bought a Lacie 2big 6tb Thunderbolt which I have running beside my iMac. I gotta say Iīm disappointed, the tiny noisy fan is annoying. Itīs sad upgrading to a silent 2012 imac and suddenly have more sound than I had earlier because of a silly external HDD. It is supposed to have a intelligent fan that runs like the iMacīs depending on heat, but I have only noticed it being on when the HDD is on and once it goes to sleep the fan shuts off - thatīs it. Also once its on for a tiny task, it keeps fanning for like 20 mins before going to sleep state again.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2big Lacie Thunderbolt drive? If thereīs anything I can do so the fan behaves more silent, either with some software or settings telling it to shut up faster or getting the fan to spin more intelligently?

Currently Iīm considering getting rid of it and replace it with a more silent type...like the WD Thunderbolt My Book - even if it is a slower crappier HD - at least its silent. Itīs sad though, as its an expensive HDD and suppose to be good.
Or maybe someone has some other recommendations for external Thunderbolt HDDīs that are silent?

Any input is appreciated!
Most of us have had the same problem, however most of us have put in ssd's into our lacies so with that you can just unplug the fan. If you have mechanical drives you should not.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:38 PM   #3
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
Most of us have had the same problem, however most of us have put in ssd's into our lacies so with that you can just unplug the fan. If you have mechanical drives you should not.
oh so you can replace the HDDīs with SSDīs ? just regular SSD drives. Does it need any special treatment, or just take out the hddīs and replace ?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:40 PM   #4
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcLovin View Post
oh so you can replace the HDDīs with SSDīs ? just regular SSD drives. Does it need any special treatment, or just take out the hddīs and replace ?
Yessir, you can pop em out and put in anything that you want really as long as they are 2.5" drives, mechanical needs the fan though, but ssd are fine without, I have 2 ssd's in mine, one 256GB for OSX and one 128GB for windows 7, I have that hooked up to my new 27" imac. I'ts been powered on for about a month straight and no heat issues.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:09 AM   #5
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

ok thanks, then I do that some day. Sadly SSDīs are too small yet. Iīm using this as a mass storage and backup, so need at least 2gb in total. Canīt even buy 1gb SSDīs today - or at least not easily. And it would cost butloads.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:36 PM   #6
essence25
macrumors newbie

Quick question, does your fan start up immediately after powering up or it starts up later based on temperature?

I just got the 6tb thunderbolt and the fan is not running on mine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals