Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
I don't have numbers, but after playing pretty much any game the fans spin up quite loud and the bottom gets almost untouchable because of heat. (I have both 11" and 13" i7 models)

If I'm not gaming though, the fans do not even come on.

I'm wondering about the difference on the i5 as well...

thats 100% normal. fans will kick in instantly when loading / playing a game.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks... and I'm guessing there is little difference between the i5 and i7 regarding fan speed and heat?

Even though the i5 and i7 both have 15W TDPs, I would think that the i5 would draw less power and thus generate less heat...

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks... and I'm guessing there is little difference between the i5 and i7 regarding fan speed and heat?

Even though the i5 and i7 both have 15W TDPs, I would think that the i5 would draw less power and thus generate less heat...

I noticed a 2-3C difference between the i5 and i7 under relatively heavy load. Nothing to worry about.

froggyjo

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Switzerland
Working with the 2013 13'' Ultimate: So cool, that I don't even bother measuring temps. As a longtime MacUser (20+ yrs) I know what hot "lap"tops feel like. This one is amazingly cool - no reason to worry ...

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Been using my 11" i7/8GB/256GB for several hours straight. I currently have chrome w/ 6 tabs, xcode (w/ iPhone simulator), Steam downloading/installing a game, SourceTree and Messages all running. If the fans are running, I can't hear them. It's barely warm to the touch. :D
In my opinion the heat "issues" are blown way out of proportion. That or the people having issues are just doing ridiculously CPU-intensive tasks (maybe without even knowing it, like Dropbox syncing, local Time Machine backups or something).

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Been using my 11" i7/8GB/256GB for several hours straight. I currently have chrome w/ 6 tabs, xcode (w/ iPhone simulator), Steam downloading/installing a game, SourceTree and Messages all running. If the fans are running, I can't hear them. It's barely warm to the touch. :D
In my opinion the heat "issues" are blown way out of proportion. That or the people having issues are just doing ridiculously CPU-intensive tasks (maybe without even knowing it, like Dropbox syncing, local Time Machine backups or something).

But I thought that Dropbox syncing and local Time Machine backups are regular daily tasks.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
But I thought that Dropbox syncing and local Time Machine backups are regular daily tasks.

I was talking about first-time syncs, which many people are likely to have going on for a while after getting their machine set up the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.