Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:57 PM   #626
BuryMeInSmoke
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
Any advice on how to root my Note 2? I am confused as I actually did the Exploit to root it, but I want to put this CleanRom on it but have no idea how too? Can't find any good instructions.
Xda forums are what you need. You need to install a recovery like twrp or cwm. Goomanager on the play store can do it as long as you're rooted already
BuryMeInSmoke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:08 PM   #627
nizmoz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuryMeInSmoke View Post
Xda forums are what you need. You need to install a recovery like twrp or cwm. Goomanager on the play store can do it as long as you're rooted already
I have tried them before, and you know what they said, search. I could not find anything detailed like steps, pictures, or how to do it other them saying here is the rom, install it. :/
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:57 PM   #628
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
I have tried them before, and you know what they said, search. I could not find anything detailed like steps, pictures, or how to do it other them saying here is the rom, install it. :/
nizmoz,

I can only refer you to the methods I used. Based on your MR signature, I'm assuming you're also doing this on a Mac.

To root using a Mac (and also install CWM Recovery), I followed these instructions. Only important info I found missing from the instructions was to make sure USB debugging is checked in the Developer Options of Settings before you get started.

After rooting and installing CWM Recovery, I'd suggest making a Nandroid (boot into recovery and follow the prompts to make a backup). This will give you something to fall back on should you have problems installing the custom ROM.

For instructions on installing the CleanROM ACE (4.05), I just followed the developers instructions from his website here. Just download the ROM using his provided link to your Mac, copy it over to your internal SD card partition (anywhere is fine, I usually put it in the existing Downloads folder)--I did so using the Android File Transfer application. Once copied, boot into recovery (volume UP, home button, power button simultaneously) and follow the rest of his instructions.

Best of luck.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:20 AM   #629
bmt134
macrumors regular

It is recommended to use TWRP with CleanRoM
bmt134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:06 AM   #630
flameproof
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
Stylus LMAO!!!
With the S-Pen you can REALLY draw stuff. That makes the Note 2 even more suitable for drawing then an iPad.

But for a phone I don't like the size, I rather go for whatever other smaller phone and a Note 10.1 if I need to draw stuff.
flameproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:32 AM   #631
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt134 View Post
It is recommended to use TWRP with CleanRoM
That seems to be what Scott recommends and is what I used.

I just used the Note 2 toolkit to root it. Had to do that on a PC of course. I first rooted my Nexus 4 manually on my Mac which was a good learning experience though.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:03 PM   #632
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Any recommendations for a car dock? I'm struggling handling my phone in the car Especially with navigation.
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:10 PM   #633
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabooly View Post
Any recommendations for a car dock? I'm struggling handling my phone in the car Especially with navigation.
Search amazon for mountek. It goes in the cd slot and works with any phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004G1L52Q
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:59 PM   #634
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Search amazon for mountek. It goes in the cd slot and works with any phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004G1L52Q
CD slot is really not what I'm looking for. I'd rather a plug in to the cigarette lighter. I just want one that works with the note and that wont break in 2 days.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:29 PM   #635
daveathall
macrumors 68000

This looks OK, not to expensive but not to cheap either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Vehi...1744800&sr=8-7
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:33 PM   #636
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
This looks OK, not to expensive but not to cheap either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Vehi...1744800&sr=8-7
That does look good. It works with the Note 2? I would be worried about a suction falling.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:40 PM   #637
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I picked this one up for my Note 2 and absolutely love it. Suction is the strongest I've ever seen on a mount--base is rock solid, and like how you just push the phone into the mount (one click, I believe they call it) to secure it, squeeze the side buttons to release it.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:16 PM   #638
Essenar
macrumors 6502

Man a lot of people love their Note 2.

I wonder if the Nexus 7 can be used as a phone combined with Google Voice and SIPGate.
Essenar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:18 PM   #639
technowar
macrumors 6502

Well if you are this,

you are better off using goole, than using a stylus and draw it.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #640
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar View Post
Man a lot of people love their Note 2.

I wonder if the Nexus 7 can be used as a phone combined with Google Voice and SIPGate.
google voice + talkatone ftw

I use it on my tab 2 as a phone and I also use it on my SGS3 as a second phone number on the same phone. LOVE it
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:16 AM   #641
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
That does look good. It works with the Note 2? I would be worried about a suction falling.
I'm not sure about it working with the Note 2 now I think about it, suction, I must admit is always a worry on these sort of holders.

Here is one advertised specifically for the Note 2, has a lot of 5 star write ups.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Vehi...1787212&sr=1-2
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 09:52 AM   #642
Oohara
macrumors 65816

International Galaxy Note 2 updated to Android 4.3 today!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/intern...roid-43-update

I just installed the update, haven't had much time to fiddle with it yet. Still can't believe the wait is over though.

The update file is ~680 MB btw, if anyone was wondering.
Oohara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 05:10 PM   #643
Oohara
macrumors 65816

Judging by how many enthusiastic posts followed my last one, I don't think this will turn many heads but...

Android 4.4 KitKat update has started rolling out for the international Note 2 Only the non 4G version so far, and only in France, but more should follow soon...hopefully...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04...o-android-4-4/
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:34 PM   #644
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohara View Post
Judging by how many enthusiastic posts followed my last one, I don't think this will turn many heads but...

Android 4.4 KitKat update has started rolling out for the international Note 2 Only the non 4G version so far, and only in France, but more should follow soon...hopefully...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04...o-android-4-4/
I'm rooted so doesn't really apply to me but thanks for the news
Old Apr 30, 2014, 02:45 PM   #645
albertfallickwa
macrumors 6502

I can't wait for the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 to get Touchwiz KitKat. That would be awesome.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:44 PM   #646
RMXO
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertfallickwa View Post
I can't wait for the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 to get Touchwiz KitKat. That would be awesome.
If you don't care about wifi calling, I would check out XDA Int Note 2 forums and maybe use one of theirs but you have to use a TMO kernel.
Old May 1, 2014, 02:13 AM   #647
Dontazemebro
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertfallickwa View Post
I'll just settle for the Verizon Note 3 Kitkat, if it comes at all.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:50 PM   #648
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Heads up!!! KitKat 4.4.2 OTA pushing out now!!! Just finished updating
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:36 AM   #649
Oohara
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Heads up!!! KitKat 4.4.2 OTA pushing out now!!! Just finished updating
Sweet. What differences are you noticing? I've been on it for about three weeks now and it looks like the battery life is a bit better!

Love the small but definitely noticeable design differences too, ahh so good to be rid of those snot green symbols in the status bar. And the unlock pattern dots look much better with a bit of transparency on them.

The only really bad thing so far is that the lockscreen has hung pretty badly on a few occasions, when I've entered the wrong unlock pattern and then tried to re-enter immediately. But this could be because NiLS Notifications Lock Screen hasn't been optimized for KitKat yet.

Overall though it does feel smoother to use - my love for my trusty old Note 2 has been rekindled
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:08 AM   #650
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohara View Post
Sweet. What differences are you noticing? I've been on it for about three weeks now and it looks like the battery life is a bit better!

Love the small but definitely noticeable design differences too, ahh so good to be rid of those snot green symbols in the status bar. And the unlock pattern dots look much better with a bit of transparency on them.

The only really bad thing so far is that the lockscreen has hung pretty badly on a few occasions, when I've entered the wrong unlock pattern and then tried to re-enter immediately. But this could be because NiLS Notifications Lock Screen hasn't been optimized for KitKat yet.

Overall though it does feel smoother to use - my love for my trusty old Note 2 has been rekindled
There's several subtle differences in the UI. I would have liked to get the same 4.4 that the S5 has, but that may be asking too much

But otherwise the phone seems to be much more alive and smooth. I haven't had any lagging as you mentioned it. Probably the best thing though is the battery; it seems to be back to it's original batterylife that we had in 4.1. My phone took a huge hit when i updated to 4.3

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices