Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Blaming the customers for the stock price, very classy...
Since you partly own this company, you may want to address its customers with more sensitivity.

Sorry, I don't own enough to care about his whining. As a person with dignity and self respect, I find it despicable all the greed on this forum.

Last edited:

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Sorry, I don't own enough to care about his whining. As a person with dignity and self respect, I find it despicable all the greed on this forum.

Now. I get being ...... off by people fishing for freebies from Apple, just to sell them on eBay, but this my friend, is just too many things : )

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
I think the real issue might be one of perception. After all, there is a far greater black mark near there being the apple symbol.

If you were able to think of that mark as being symbolic such as it being a planet in orbit around the universe of APPLE you might be able to see this mark as a virtue rather than as a problem.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Yet you have no problem owning a stock of a company that charges $600+ for 32Gb of RAM... you're ridiculous

No, owning stock is simply investment. As I purchased a small number of Apple shares before the iPhone was released, near $100 a share, and as of close today, was $529.69, with a peak of $700 earlier this year, I consider it a good investment. It just happens that I also prefer their products.

What Apple charges for their products is up to them. I suspect that they have teams of people that work out how much to charge, and what people are willing to pay for it. There was a nice lady named Marsha here on the forums that felt that $600 was worth it to her for the 32GB of RAM, because she didn't want to mess with finding the right kind and installing it. I'm sure there are plenty of people just like her. Not everyone wants to mess with the hardware, they just want it to work. Apple wouldn't set the prices that high if a significant number of people didn't pay for it. After all, they want to make money. They want to sell hardware.

You are trying to equate owning stock in a multinational corporation that is very profitable to people calling in asking for freebies because they feel entitled. Entitlement is the cancer of our modern day society.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Buy a silver Sharpie for 99 cents and just blot it out. I agree that it should be perfect, but it's not worth the hassle of waiting for a replacement to me.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
No, owning stock is simply investment. As I purchased a small number of Apple shares before the iPhone was released, near $100 a share, and as of close today, was $529.69, with a peak of $700 earlier this year, I consider it a good investment. It just happens that I also prefer their products.

What Apple charges for their products is up to them. I suspect that they have teams of people that work out how much to charge, and what people are willing to pay for it. There was a nice lady named Marsha here on the forums that felt that $600 was worth it to her for the 32GB of RAM, because she didn't want to mess with finding the right kind and installing it. I'm sure there are plenty of people just like her. Not everyone wants to mess with the hardware, they just want it to work. Apple wouldn't set the prices that high if a significant number of people didn't pay for it. After all, they want to make money. They want to sell hardware.

You are trying to equate owning stock in a multinational corporation that is very profitable to people calling in asking for freebies because they feel entitled. Entitlement is the cancer of our modern day society.

- Owning a stock is owning part of that business. By definition. It's not up to discussion. If you disagree with the company policy to give out freebies, take it with your board. Going after the customers of that business is just not appropriate.
- Why mentioning the $700 peak? If you still own the stock at $529 when it once was at $700, it must hurt a little, no?
- You say "What Apple charges for their products is up to them", and blablabla, so can't we just apply that to "What Apple decides to give away to its customers is up to them?" Why do you feel you suddenly have to intervene
- You say "You are trying to equate owning stock in a multinational corporation that is very profitable to people calling in asking for freebies because they feel entitled" Why don't you just quote what I say and reply to that instead of guessing what I am "trying" to do. Again, it's just striking that some of you guys feel so emotional about some customers trying to get a free mouse, yet don't see a problem for a company to try their luck with a few outrageously priced upgrades.
- "Entitlement is the cancer of our modern day society." I love this kind of statement... (sigh)

crovali

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
bflowers,

I'm not going to lie and say that this purchase was a small one. Some of my friends think I am crazy for shelling out close to $3k for a computer. Apple takes pride in its meticulous product design and skills in engineering so I have come to think very highly of their products. This being my first apple computer, I wanted it to be perfect and for such a high price, satisfaction should be guaranteed. I'm not some spoiled rich kid that's angry about a broken computer mommy and daddy bought me, I simply want the computer that I paid for with my hard earned money. I am a young adult going to school and working, too hard at times, trying to support myself. I'm not made of money either so if I could get a discount on a defect in the appearance of the iMac that Apple says is the most beautiful computer they've ever released to date, I'm sure as hell going to take it. Thank you for your opinion on the matter. Have a wonderful day.

----------

Since your the first person I've saw comment on the screen...how's the backlight bleed? Is it ok and mostly uniform black?

This being my first iMac, I have nothing to compare the screen to. The last computer I owned was a 2007 Dell Inspiron laptop. That screen was crap compared to this. I see no yellowing, but the blacks seem relatively even. It does seem the blackest in the center of the screen with the corners slightly brighter, but I don't think it's bad. I'll make further inspections in the morning.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The drama!
Just return it because its clearly ruined your computing experience.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
While on the other thread I would do the same as the OP did, ask for a small refund, for this problem I would just return the unit. At least for me buying an iMac is not only because of components/work it can do but it is also a piece of design and because of that I would not accept that thing in front of me every day. I mean try to fix it yourself and think of the resale value of that.... And you can not compare this to cars, a car is supposed to get things like that when driving on the road so it would be perfectly acceptable to live with it or doing a fix to make it less noticeable. For an iMac, for this specific issue, I would return it.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
The drama!
Just return it because its clearly ruined your computing experience.

actually it will be very distracting each time he uses the computer. it is high contrast. If he is doing any kind of design work this will mess with him

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
bflowers,

I'm not going to lie and say that this purchase was a small one. Some of my friends think I am crazy for shelling out close to $3k for a computer. Apple takes pride in its meticulous product design and skills in engineering so I have come to think very highly of their products. This being my first apple computer, I wanted it to be perfect and for such a high price, satisfaction should be guaranteed. I'm not some spoiled rich kid that's angry about a broken computer mommy and daddy bought me, I simply want the computer that I paid for with my hard earned money. I am a young adult going to school and working, too hard at times, trying to support myself. I'm not made of money either so if I could get a discount on a defect in the appearance of the iMac that Apple says is the most beautiful computer they've ever released to date, I'm sure as hell going to take it. Thank you for your opinion on the matter. Have a wonderful day.

----------

This being my first iMac, I have nothing to compare the screen to. The last computer I owned was a 2007 Dell Inspiron laptop. That screen was crap compared to this. I see no yellowing, but the blacks seem relatively even. It does seem the blackest in the center of the screen with the corners slightly brighter, but I don't think it's bad. I'll make further inspections in the morning.

I'll have mine Monday and do further tests. Thanks for the input good to hear.

ashleypenny

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
For someone who has been on this forum as long as you have, I'm amazed you're amazed.

I wouldnt even call it vanity. People want to be happy with their purchase after spending a significant chunk of money on that and people shouldnt be chastised for wanting to be happy with their purchase. Likewise when he comes to sell he will have to say 'small blemish on the front' and people will then be cute and make offers of less because it has a mark on it. Its truly up to the OP if they can live with it or not.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
What is a blemish for one man, is an enhancement for another

Attachments

• beautyspot.jpg
    beautyspot.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 42

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
actually it will be very distracting each time he uses the computer. it is high contrast. If he is doing any kind of design work this will mess with him

I had to go back and look at the pic. This is not on the display as far as I know. It is on the bezel and therefore, I cannot simply understand how this could affect his ability to do design work. I said that I didn't know if he was serious but to take it back. It will be a nice machine in the refurb store for a lucky buyer.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I had to go back and look at the pic. This is not on the display as far as I know. It is on the bezel and therefore, I cannot simply understand how this could affect his ability to do design work. I said that I didn't know if he was serious but to take it back. It will be a nice machine in the refurb store for a lucky buyer.

bezel or display. It is still on the front plane of the machine and his eye will be drawn to that high point of contrast and detail. I study art and I know how composition works so he will be annoyed my this constantly unless he manages to get it the same value as the aluminium or close enough.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006

Simply a matter of principle. In this instance, there is nothing structurally wrong with the machine. If it came dented, that would be different. I had a washer delivered once, that had a severe dent to the outer sheet metal. I wasn't home when it was delivered, my Father was here for that appointment. They automatically gave a ten percent discount, which he didn't ask for, nor argue. As it was slightly bigger (1/3 of the front was pushed in about an inch) than the OP's 1mm diameter dot, I didn't argue. They would have discounted it even more as a damaged product.

RichiMac

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
SoCal
Hey, one of the majors reasons most of us are buying this computer is aesthetics...i.e. it looks good! That dot would bug me too and you better believe I will call them if mine shows up like that. I am paying a premium for the looks of this thing, so I expect Apple to deliver.

Having said that...if they offer me $150 as compensation, I might...might (but not sure yet) decide to take it and every time I looked at the dot I might smile at the extra "discount" I got.

But probably it would bug me too much, so I would return it. You have a right to get what you paid for...period!

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
It could be an e-melanoma – in which case, it's very serious.

Seriously, if it bothers you enough to want to try to exchange it, then do so. iMacs aren't cheap, and, as a couple other people have pointed out, some of what you're paying for with an Apple computer is design aesthetics. Personally, I could live with the dot (it looks like a small moon orbiting Planet Apple), but I had an iBook years ago with a stuck pixel, and it bothered me for a long time before I finally got used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.