Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellthorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hello, Im a new Mac user. I've got myself a Mac Mini for animation purposes. And so far i'm loving it! But i ran into a problem today.

There were 2 icons on my desktop to run the applications i often use. But today after start, the icons on my desktop were gone. The folders are still on my system but the desktop has completely nulled itself. Does mac do that itself? Or do i have virus of some sort o_O.

I don't really use my mac for browsing so it's actually not possible. I have even installed an antivirus software even though i have read that mac attacks are ultra rare. Can someone answer this ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can you tell me what those two apps are and how you installed them?

Mac apps often come in a compressed disk image (.DMG) format and you have to open the disk image by double clicking it to open the DMG, then you drag the app from inside the DMG into your Applications folder. It sounds like maybe you just opened the DMG and were running the app from there without actually installing it. By doing that, when you reboot the DMG file closes and it appears the app is gone.

Reopen the DMG file and drag the app into Applications and you will be fine.

Mellthorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Those two files were old games i've downloaded. After running those files, there was a window asking me to to drag the image on the corner of the window to desktop. I did as told. And i always run those directly from desktop where they were because it was quicker to do so. The games are still on my system, just the objects removed from desktop.

I have my animation software and tools installed on the application screen. But the games also wasn't placed there. But actually what you said about dmg files might be the case. Because i didn't really run a usual installation for them.

Mellthorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
After shutting it down and starting it again. The objects were on the desktop. I didn't do anything to resolve this :S.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There were 2 icons on my desktop to run the applications i often use. But today after start, the icons on my desktop were gone. The folders are still on my system but the desktop has completely nulled itself. Does mac do that itself? Or do i have virus of some sort o_O.
It sounds like a temporary glitch, since it was solved by restarting. It's not a virus or other malware.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

Tucson Allen

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Check ~/users/desktop

I have many files on my desktop. Occasionally they disappear, but they still are in my users file, alanebi, in the Desktop folder. You can drag them to the desktop. Multiple drags are possible through highlighting the ones in the folder you want to drag before dragging. OS 10.6.8 early 2006 20" iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.