Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete78

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
I would like to update you on the matter. I received a call from the manager at the Apple Store where my iMac is in for repairs. Looks like after my email to Tim Cook, Apple is going to replace my iMac. I know they were at least called by head office as manager quoted some of the email I sent to Mr. Cook. I will be receiving a top of the line 27" iMac with a free external drive as that is what I had with my mid 2011. They want to make sure I have minimum what I originally paid for. They will upgrade the ram as well because I paid for that originally. I will be getting better as it will be new and I should get it Friday. I am glad that Apple is responsive in regards to their customer service. So in the end, AppleCare does pay and Tim Cook is a true CEO. Apple stands behind it's products. Thank you everyone for your response. Below is a copy of the letter I sent to Tim Cook.

Hello Tim,

I know this may be the wrong approach, but I have some concerns with an iMac that I purchased in May 2011. Three months after purchase, screen was replaced do to dead line of pixels. Next problem was upgrade of Lion 10.7.3. Corrupted and cost me $150.00 to solve the problem. iMac then started to get a buzzing noise. Had to take iMac in for HDD recall anyways. Received iMac back with buzzing noise still there. Tolerated the buzz until screen went black last week. Back to store again. Now fourth time. Genius tells me power supply needs to be replaced. Receive computer back and less than three hours later screen is black again. Now back to store fifth time. So far I have had this computer in shop for total of approximately five weeks since owning. This time they tell me logic board.

As you have read all of the problems I have had, I hope you can understand my concerns. I am very leery that I am always going to have issues with this iMac. Your people have been excellent with always trying to get things fixed. Just so you know.

I think my request at having this iMac replaced are not unreasonable considering all the issues. It is a business computer and is now costing me both money and business. I own several Apple products and have never had issues with them. I still like Apple products and will continue to use and purchase them.

I do not know if you will respond to this email, but I still had to send it. Is there a chance that I might be able to contact someone of authority at Apple who may be able to help me with this matter? I am not trying to step on toes. Just looking for a solution. My biggest concern is what this iMac will cost me after my AppleCare expires.

Thank you for your time and patience reading this.

My Info

Are they getting you a 2012 iMac? BTO, by Friday? That's pretty quick. I'm in the middle of returning my DOA iMac, and they have no timetable as to when I will get a replacement BTO iMac. Glad everything worked out for you!

firedept

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Are they getting you a 2012 iMac? BTO, by Friday? That's pretty quick. I'm in the middle of returning my DOA iMac, and they have no timetable as to when I will get a replacement BTO iMac. Glad everything worked out for you!

Yes. Am not sure how they are doing it, but was told by manager at Apple Store that they happen to have a high end coming in Friday and it was mine. They just need to upgrade the RAM for me. Possible for someone who may have canceled? But I am only speculating.

----------

Glad you got it resolved. Impressed with how quick they responded to your letter to make it right. Congrats!

Thank you.

jonwriter

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Northern California
Great to hear things finally worked out for you.

I purchased Apple Care with my current iMac (the iMac from h**l), and am very glad that I did. Basically everything inside the case (power supply, logic board & cable, hard drive, etc.) except the display was replaced by Apple at one time or another during the 3-year coverage period. Each repair couldn't have gone smoother (except if hadn't failed in the first place) and the customer service was great.

After the Care period was up, my iMac has developed more and more issues that Apple couldn't fix, and I've been limping it along to the fed-up point, which for me was this week. I'm buying a Mini to replace the iMac next week, and I will absolutely get Apple Care again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.