Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've never owned a MBA until the 2013. I had read the Samsung vs. LG threads in the past but did not think much of it... When I got my MBA I checked for my standard stuff (i.e. damage, dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleed, and general performance) and was satisfied I had not received a dud. I usually do this first and figure anything else will present itself later. I thought the screen was good, not as good as my iMac, but good. I did not even bother to check my screen type until a few days ago. When I discovered that I had a LG screen It did not make my screen instantly worse... I did install the color profile since then and the improvement is noticeable, but not huge. Either way, the screen has looked great since day one on everything I use it for (TV/Movies, games, browsing, and pics).

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I've never owned a MBA until the 2013. I had read the Samsung vs. LG threads in the past but did not think much of it... When I got my MBA I checked for my standard stuff (i.e. damage, dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleed, and general performance) and was satisfied I had not received a dud. I usually do this first and figure anything else will present itself later. I thought the screen was good, not as good as my iMac, but good. I did not even bother to check my screen type until a few days ago. When I discovered that I had a LG screen It did not make my screen instantly worse... I did install the color profile since then and the improvement is noticeable, but not huge. Either way, the screen has looked great since day one on everything I use it for (TV/Movies, games, browsing, and pics).

Which configuration did you go with, Base or BTO?

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
My 2011 13" air had the LG display; I read the samsung vs. LG threads but I didn't really care enough about it to do anything. My 2013 13" air has a samsung display and I do see a noticeable (but not extreme) difference in screen quality..I prefer samsung displays, but at the end of the day its up to your eyes.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
I also have an LG screen in my MBA. Can someone link to the color corrector? I haven't come across it yet.

Thanks!

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
how to find out what screen i have

just curious to know how to find out what brand screen i have?

plasticsman

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I have the LG screen and I prefer the default color setting compared to the mac rumors profile. It looks fine to me I guess :)

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Wow, i was kinda bummed about getting the LG, (looks washed out to me) but that profile makes it look amazing. Huge, improvement.

cake1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Guys i really like this computer. This is pretty much like... my first time using a mac. like ... ever. I didnt get to "try" it anywhere.
Surely i read reviews, and I knew that the computer will do everything i need it to do. And I have started a really nice job and i thought that i can just go for it and If i hate osx i can just sell the computer with a little but of a loss and it wouldnt be a big deal.

However I am so impressed with this thing. As a linux user i feel right at home. I still love linux, the software i work on is deployed on linux environments and I still think it is an example of amazing design and engineering at its finest (linux that is). As long as one doesnt have to use a desktop environment. Cause they are all pretty bad i think.

For a laptop, and even a desktop, this osx think is so smooth and polished. I am pleasantly surprised.

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
Guys i really like this computer. This is pretty much like... my first time using a mac. like ... ever. I didnt get to "try" it anywhere.
Surely i read reviews, and I knew that the computer will do everything i need it to do. And I have started a really nice job and i thought that i can just go for it and If i hate osx i can just sell the computer with a little but of a loss and it wouldnt be a big deal.

However I am so impressed with this thing. As a linux user i feel right at home. I still love linux, the software i work on is deployed on linux environments and I still think it is an example of amazing design and engineering at its finest (linux that is). As long as one doesnt have to use a desktop environment. Cause they are all pretty bad i think.

For a laptop, and even a desktop, this osx think is so smooth and polished. I am pleasantly surprised.

As a lifelong windows user, I, too, am enjoying osx and the hardware that surrounds it. Your words... smooth and polished... describe it perfectly.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

This is exactly what keeps me on OS X. I need a linux/UNIX-y environment for some cor edevelopment and sysadmin work, but I also need to use Desktop GUI apps (office, photo editing), AND I need to share the documents I make from those apps with Windows users who are running Office and other mainstream software. The compatibility of these apps on linux just isn't there... likewise, getting a *nix-type environment working on Microsoft Windows is torture.

So, either I could dual-boot, run VMs, or use a Mac. And a Mac is just the most elegant and seamless of all the options.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Is there a better color profile than Macrumors icc? Or is it all subjective?

Anyone know?

So your asking other people if how your computer screen looks to you is subjective? FYI, your Mac comes with a dictionary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.