Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:11 AM   #26
JMountainDew
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
I have the i5,8,256
Excellent configuration! Same as mine. Enjoy your new mac!
JMountainDew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:28 AM   #27
jedolley
macrumors 68000

I've never owned a MBA until the 2013. I had read the Samsung vs. LG threads in the past but did not think much of it... When I got my MBA I checked for my standard stuff (i.e. damage, dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleed, and general performance) and was satisfied I had not received a dud. I usually do this first and figure anything else will present itself later. I thought the screen was good, not as good as my iMac, but good. I did not even bother to check my screen type until a few days ago. When I discovered that I had a LG screen It did not make my screen instantly worse... I did install the color profile since then and the improvement is noticeable, but not huge. Either way, the screen has looked great since day one on everything I use it for (TV/Movies, games, browsing, and pics).
jedolley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:44 AM   #28
HiDEF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedolley View Post
I've never owned a MBA until the 2013. I had read the Samsung vs. LG threads in the past but did not think much of it... When I got my MBA I checked for my standard stuff (i.e. damage, dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleed, and general performance) and was satisfied I had not received a dud. I usually do this first and figure anything else will present itself later. I thought the screen was good, not as good as my iMac, but good. I did not even bother to check my screen type until a few days ago. When I discovered that I had a LG screen It did not make my screen instantly worse... I did install the color profile since then and the improvement is noticeable, but not huge. Either way, the screen has looked great since day one on everything I use it for (TV/Movies, games, browsing, and pics).
Which configuration did you go with, Base or BTO?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:48 AM   #29
jedolley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDEF View Post
Which configuration did you go with, Base or BTO?
BTO: i7/8GB/256GB
jedolley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:50 AM   #30
HiDEF
macrumors 6502a

^^ Sweet.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:31 PM   #31
impulse462
macrumors 65816

My 2011 13" air had the LG display; I read the samsung vs. LG threads but I didn't really care enough about it to do anything. My 2013 13" air has a samsung display and I do see a noticeable (but not extreme) difference in screen quality..I prefer samsung displays, but at the end of the day its up to your eyes.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:46 PM   #32
Dookieman
macrumors regular

I also have an LG screen in my MBA. Can someone link to the color corrector? I haven't come across it yet.

Thanks!
Dookieman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:19 PM   #33
JMountainDew
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookieman View Post
I also have an LG screen in my MBA. Can someone link to the color corrector? I haven't come across it yet.

Thanks!
There are a number of links out there. Here is one:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-t...t-look-better/
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:20 PM   #34
Zac10
macrumors newbie

how to find out what screen i have

just curious to know how to find out what brand screen i have?
Zac10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:32 PM   #35
JMountainDew
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac10 View Post
just curious to know how to find out what brand screen i have?
The link that I posted above for Dookieman also tells you how to check which brand you have.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:35 PM   #36
plasticsman
macrumors newbie

I have the LG screen and I prefer the default color setting compared to the mac rumors profile. It looks fine to me I guess
plasticsman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:58 AM   #37
Jazwire
macrumors 6502a

Wow, i was kinda bummed about getting the LG, (looks washed out to me) but that profile makes it look amazing. Huge, improvement.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:26 PM   #38
cake1
macrumors newbie

Guys i really like this computer. This is pretty much like... my first time using a mac. like ... ever. I didnt get to "try" it anywhere.
Surely i read reviews, and I knew that the computer will do everything i need it to do. And I have started a really nice job and i thought that i can just go for it and If i hate osx i can just sell the computer with a little but of a loss and it wouldnt be a big deal.

However I am so impressed with this thing. As a linux user i feel right at home. I still love linux, the software i work on is deployed on linux environments and I still think it is an example of amazing design and engineering at its finest (linux that is). As long as one doesnt have to use a desktop environment. Cause they are all pretty bad i think.

For a laptop, and even a desktop, this osx think is so smooth and polished. I am pleasantly surprised.
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:55 PM   #39
JMountainDew
macrumors regular

Quote:
Guys i really like this computer. This is pretty much like... my first time using a mac. like ... ever. I didnt get to "try" it anywhere.
Surely i read reviews, and I knew that the computer will do everything i need it to do. And I have started a really nice job and i thought that i can just go for it and If i hate osx i can just sell the computer with a little but of a loss and it wouldnt be a big deal.

However I am so impressed with this thing. As a linux user i feel right at home. I still love linux, the software i work on is deployed on linux environments and I still think it is an example of amazing design and engineering at its finest (linux that is). As long as one doesnt have to use a desktop environment. Cause they are all pretty bad i think.

For a laptop, and even a desktop, this osx think is so smooth and polished. I am pleasantly surprised.
As a lifelong windows user, I, too, am enjoying osx and the hardware that surrounds it. Your words... smooth and polished... describe it perfectly.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:13 PM   #40
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
This is exactly what keeps me on OS X. I need a linux/UNIX-y environment for some cor edevelopment and sysadmin work, but I also need to use Desktop GUI apps (office, photo editing), AND I need to share the documents I make from those apps with Windows users who are running Office and other mainstream software. The compatibility of these apps on linux just isn't there... likewise, getting a *nix-type environment working on Microsoft Windows is torture.

So, either I could dual-boot, run VMs, or use a Mac. And a Mac is just the most elegant and seamless of all the options.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:01 PM   #41
Creek0512
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDEF View Post
Is there a better color profile than Macrumors icc? Or is it all subjective?

Anyone know?
So your asking other people if how your computer screen looks to you is subjective? FYI, your Mac comes with a dictionary.
Creek0512 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:41 PM   #42
HiDEF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek0512 View Post
So your asking other people if how your computer screen looks to you is subjective? FYI, your Mac comes with a dictionary.
Go kick rocks.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:45 PM   #43
DblEGT
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazwire View Post
Wow, i was kinda bummed about getting the LG, (looks washed out to me) but that profile makes it look amazing. Huge, improvement.
Agreed, made huge improvement to mine too!!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air