Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a black iPad 5 if the shell is anodized black?

• Yes

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.9%

• Total voters

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Each of the iPhone 5 models I've bought for my family have been easily scratched.

Conversely the iPad minis have a much better finish. It seems that Apple just got cheap with the iPhone.

This. My iPad Mini is much more resilient to scratching the my iPhone 5. My iPhone 5 looks like it got dropped in a blender, and I've never dropped it.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Well considering how I never ever see the back of my current ipad3 due to it being a case since day one, the finish type/method will be irrelevant.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Wouldn't be my first choice, but if that is the only way it comes it wouldn't keep me from buying it. I'll put in a case one way or the other.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If the scratching is as bad as the iPhone 5 I would have a hard time doing it, but probably would since I do not own any white iOS devices. I haven't seen too many mini's scratched up but I haven't researched it to see if it is an issue like it is with the iPhone 5.

jshulman10

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Anodized black has longevity if and only if its used on smooth shapes. On sharp corners/edges its venerable to wear.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
This. My iPad Mini is much more resilient to scratching the my iPhone 5. My iPhone 5 looks like it got dropped in a blender, and I've never dropped it.

Agree!!!

My iPhone 5 is not as bad as yours sound, but with scuffs regardless. My iPad mini is in mint condition. The iPhone 5 is naked and my iPad mini only with a smart case.

I'm starting to believe that anodized's nemesis is denim. The new endurance test should be a pair of jeans rubbing against a phone for a million times.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Each of the iPhone 5 models I've bought for my family have been easily scratched.

Conversely the iPad minis have a much better finish. It seems that Apple just got cheap with the iPhone.

Or perhaps Apple learned from the iPhone and applied it to the mini. Should be intersting to see how the new iPhone fares (assuming its a similar design to the 5).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.