Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I'm trying to develop an Excel spreadsheet that tallies the number of total hours worked on different projects.

My goal is to be able to enter in a single row the date, the project number, and the number of hours worked on that project. I'm just wondering if it's possible to have Excel look at the "Project number" column, and then assign the number of hours worked in the next column to a tally of total hours worked for that specific project.

I'm attaching screenshots of what I would want the spreadsheet to look like. The first screenshot would be what I manually type in after each day and project, and the second screenshot would be the automatically summed information.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Excel1.png
    Excel1.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Excel2.png
    Excel2.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 370

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Check out the Excel documentation for the SUMIF() function. If that doesn't give you the power you want or need, you may need to learn about array functions, which get ugly fast but really pack a punch with shaping your data as you see fit.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
The SUMIF() function works great. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.