Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

wow, I heard the US was behind in broadband internet, but to see you're results from the UK...WTF?...why is the world's wealthiest nation so far behind with internet speed? Obviously the military must have this kind of speed and they don't want us civilians to be anywhere close to that. (My guess).

So: When I stream Netflix it will sometimes stop, I have no idea why, but it gives me a screen saying my internet connection has slowed and it's doing something to prevent further interruptions, but most of the time it just stops there until I quit out of it, restart browser and resume...this sucks...I'm assuming AppleTV needs more than Netflix and would be worse??

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
If it's cable internet, the speed will fluctuate depending on whether little Johnny next door is downloading his daily pron at the time your doing the speed test.

Yeah our cable, internet and phone are all connected with one another. I have a secure network though, so the person next door shouldn't affect my internet speeds.

My cable company advertises that it should take 5-10 mins to d/l a 1gig movie, yet it takes much longer for me. Something is wrong there. Which is why I will be giving them a call soon.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Yeah our cable, internet and phone are all connected with one another. I have a secure network though, so the person next door shouldn't affect my internet speeds.

My cable company advertises that it should take 5-10 mins to d/l a 1gig movie, yet it takes much longer for me. Something is wrong there. Which is why I will be giving them a call soon.
Internet speeds from your ISP will vary from minute to minute and the values they quote are usually qualified with wording like "up to" so you might get the stated values now and then but your long term average will generally be below what they state (and sometime significantly lower, such as when other customers in your area are making significant demands on the "trunk" cable that is serving your entire neighborhood).

Note that it would take a minimum of 27Mbps to download a 1GB movie in only five minutes (more likely, at least 30Mbps given other overhead). YMMV, but if they quote 15Mbps I'd expect measurably less than that on a long term average.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Internet speeds from your ISP will vary from minute to minute and the values they quote are usually qualified with wording like "up to" so you might get the stated values now and then but your long term average will generally be below what they state (and sometime significantly lower, such as when other customers in your area are making significant demands on the "trunk" cable that is serving your entire neighborhood).

Note that it would take a minimum of 27Mbps to download a 1GB movie in only five minutes (more likely, at least 30Mbps given other overhead). YMMV, but if they quote 15Mbps I'd expect measurably less than that on a long term average.

The internet plan i'm on which is a triple play sort of plan (phone,internet, cable), advertise my speed as 15 mbps d/l. When the highest I normally get is 10-12. Alot of the time lower than that. I probably will eventually upgrade to the faster internet service my cable company offers, which is like 10 dollars more a month. Which gives you around 30mbps. They also offer a 100 mbps d/l, but that's like 70 dollars more a month, I def am not paying for that.

With that one that gives you 30 mbps they advertise is takes 3 mins to d/l a 750 meg file, which I doubt will happen for me.

I have a brand new computer so I know that isn't the issue, and I know it isn't the router. So it has to be the modem or my cable company. All I want is speeds close to what they advertise and to take advantage of my core i7 imac.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
streaming shouldnt be an issue, it even works just fine with HD files on my parents shiatty dsl 6000 broadband back home

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC

Cable internet is shared bandwidth with everyone who is on your node. A node could be several hundred customers (houses). If too many are using up the bandwidth, guess what.. you're going to suffer slower speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.