Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Ok I here come the dumbest post ever. I have had a ton of problems with my new iMac with scratches and scuffs. So today I was checking it with a flashlight. With the iMac off screen black I looked at the screen with a flashlight. The black iMac screen showed dust, marks from packaging, and oil marks and smudges. These are not seen unless I put a flashlight or light to the screen. Is this normal. Can anyone with a new iMac check your screen with a light to see if same.
Please give me a break I know I am being obsessive, but I have had so much problems trying to get a good IMac.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
*shakes head*...

You go put a flashlight up to ANYTHING it will look like crap.

And yes, all iMacs look that way.

The solution is not to use that miner's helmet when you use your iMac. :p

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
try a ultra violet light then you will get scared at the stuff you can see, hell light up your desk with it, it will look like crap.

seriously mine had some residue from removing the plastic that covered the screen on the edges of the glass and other minor stuff that's just normal, dust will stick to the screen and you will have to clean it and will stick again its just how the world works, I would suggest you don't try to clean the residue from the "glue" of the plastic cover it will just get worse while its still greasy let it dust up and then clean it.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Mine has marks and smudges in middle and covering the entire screen. Again only see when a light is close to it. Sound normal?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
just held an 18 x LED light up to my screen while it is off and it is dirty as hell haha, I am sure it is on the outside though lots of dust and what looks like marks left from cleaning product maybe. I'll clean it off with my trusty non streak white vinegar and test again to see if there is anything on the other side. If there is I am not bothered though because I cannot see anything it looks as clean as ever right now with the screen on.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's normal. You do that to any piece of glass with a flashlight it'll be the same. How many people do you want to tell you it's NORMAL!

Now think about how much MORE disgusting it will be in a few months of dust and grease flying around the room.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks keep me updated. I thought the screen would be clear.

I cleaned it up and spent a lot of time with a microfibre cloth returning it to factory fresh condition. I shone the LED bulbs at it and i can't see any marks or dust under the glass but the surface of my glass is starting to collect little dust fibres every second that can only be seen with the light.

If the screen looks just fine while off and on without a secondary light source then I think you are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.