Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubleAgent95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
Hi everyone (got an account just for this),

This will be quite lengthy.

I decided to try out the iOS 7 beta (have a Verizon iPhone 5). After making a backup, I downloaded it and it installed fine, but only then did I realize I had stupidly gotten the GSM one instead of the CDMA, so I didn't get phone service. I downgraded back to iOS 6 only to find that my backup of all the data I had was for some reason not working. It said the phone's software was too old. This leads me to believe that my backup is somehow an iOS 7 file (not sure the technical term for it) even though I did it when I had iOS 6. After researching a bit it became clear that there is no easy way to get my data back while on iOS 6 so I naturally decided to get the right version of iOS 7.

Just a side note here, I did try to restore a backup I had done a few months ago, but none of my contacts or photos came and my apps were freshly downloaded with no save data.

I got the correct CDMA version of iOS 7 beta 5 and began downloading it. Here is where I hit the infamous error 3194 problem. I have done research on this and nothing I try works. Almost every solution involves going to the host folder and deleting anything relating to gs.apple.com. Only problem is, that doesn't exist for me. Either way, I can't save any changes to that host file for some reason even though I am the administrator. (Windows 7 PC)

So right now I am just spending vast amounts of time trying to find a solution to this. Does anyone have one? Until I get back to iOS 7, my phone has nothing on it besides default apps. And even then I'm not completely sure I will get all my stuff back with all the save data and everything.

I am sincerely hoping that if no solution comes up now, I can wait till iOS 7 is released fully and get my stuff back. Does someone know if it will work that way?

Anyway, if anyone managed to understand all that and has a solution, please tell me. Would paying 5 bucks to register a UDID or whatever help? And yes I do understand that there were risks in getting the beta and everything, but I would still love my good ol' phone back :)

Thank you ahead of time.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Paying the $5 has nothing to do with it and wont make a difference when it comes to restoring your stuff back on ios 6.
Your backup data was overwritten with the one made under ios 7.
What you could have done is save a backup copy of your phone in another location so that doesn't happen prior to updating your iphone to the beta firmware.
Now its a little too late, all you can do to get everything back is wait for the official ios 7 to be out or continue using the beta firmware.

doubleAgent95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
Paying the $5 has nothing to do with it and wont make a difference when it comes to restoring your stuff back on ios 6.
Your backup data was overwritten with the one made under ios 7.
What you could have done is save a backup copy of your phone in another location so that doesn't happen prior to updating your iphone to the beta firmware.
Now its a little too late, all you can do to get everything back is wait for the official ios 7 to be out or continue using the beta firmware.

Ok thanks. I'm really fine with using my phone as it is for a month or whenever iOS 7 comes out, I was just seeing if there was a quicker way. Just as long as I can be sure I will get everything back when that happens. Will that include contacts and photos and app save data and everything?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You're welcome.
Its a well known issue and many have experienced the same.
It sucks that Apple started putting that type of restrictions where a newer backup cannot be used on an older ios version.
Like if you made a backup with 6.1.3 and try to restore that backup to a device running 6.0.1 it wont let you.

doubleAgent95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
You're welcome.
Its a well known issue and many have experienced the same.
It sucks that Apple started putting that type of restrictions where a newer backup cannot be used on an older ios version.
Like if you made a backup with 6.1.3 and try to restore that backup to a device running 6.0.1 it wont let you.

Yeah that's a pain.

The error 3194 thing won't happen again then will it? Because I've heard of it happening to people who were just trying regular updates as well.

doubleAgent95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
It's been a while.

Well with iOS 7 coming out tomorrow I just wanted to clarify.

I just update my phone, then click Restore and choose the one that I had before, right? As simple as that?

It sounds dumb I know but I don't want to take any risks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, hit restore and then it will bring you up to the official ios 7.
Then once its done it will ask you if you want to setup as new phone or restore from backup.
Choose from backup and it will have your latest backup and date it was created listed there.
You'd be fine.

doubleAgent95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
Yes, hit restore and then it will bring you up to the official ios 7.
Then once its done it will ask you if you want to setup as new phone or restore from backup.
Choose from backup and it will have your latest backup and date it was created listed there.
You'd be fine.

Ok, thank you. If anything unexpected happens I will post here but if not it worked and thank you for your help for this entire issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.