Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Creativedot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hi... i dont know what happened but my desktop icons are not there any more.. nothing! And the worst part when i go in my finder and look at my desktop there , there is nothing there as well..!!! What the hell happened? :eek:

Can someone help me figure this out?

i am running Mac OSX 10.6.8

HELP!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hold the Option key while you right-click the Finder icon on the left side of the Dock, then select "Relaunch". See if the icons come back. Check Finder > Preferences > General to make sure you've selected what you want to appear on the desktop.

Creativedot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hello and thanks for answering back! When i hold the option (command) key and right click on my finder icon on the dock the only option i get is hide..

On my preferences i have selected only external disks and CD's DVD's

am i doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello and thanks for answering back! When i hold the option (command) key
The Command key is not the Option key, which is the key right beside it.
Apple Wireless Keyboard.jpeg

Last edited:

Creativedot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hi thanks for that screenshot! :) i am still a newbie regarding mac usage :cool:
I relaunched the finder but still no luck!!

Is there another option?

-Concept-

macrumors member
Hey. It just seems like your files have been misplaced or that you overwrote them somehow. Check your trash folder.

Also, have you been using any programs like Daisy Disk to index your HD and maybe deleted something in there? When did the problem happen and when did you notice it occur, form a reboot or when you were in the middle of using the computer?

Lastly, are those files anywhere else on your computer or were they only on your desktop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.