Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olobmot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade my hard drive in my mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro (2.53 GHz).

The hard drive is stock right now, and I am looking to get some more space and quickness. I use Logic Pro a lot and would love an upgrade. I got some new memory and it has been an improvement, as well.

I have been looking at two in particular. The Seagate Momentus (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...TF8&colid=1MUT2AV9G4L6J&coliid=I32F2FIDEQQHQD) and the Western Digital Scorpio (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...TF8&colid=1MUT2AV9G4L6J&coliid=I1BH8GVGH39BD8)

I like the sizes, but I keep reading in reviews about the whole difficulty with them being 3GB/s and this particular MBP only using 1.5GB/s.

I am not sure what this means, but I definitely don't want to have any issues. I want it to work like my old hard drive. People suggest lowering the hard drive to 1.5GB/s but I don't know how to do that and stuff...

Any suggestions for me? That would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
They should be backwards compatible. If not, there are ways to make that work. If you want speed, I would opt for an SSD.

Nov 28, 2010
located
2009 MBPs support S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II), it is the stock HDD, that is only S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) (though HDDs do not even saturate that speed).
I also have a 2009 MBP and a Crucial M4 SSD in mine, it is an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD, but works just fine at S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) speeds.

olobmot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks guys! Everything looks good, I'll probably just decide on the Seagate. A friend of mine has a Western Digital external hard drive and I am not crazy about his theirs is working.

Thanks again!

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Any suggestions for me? That would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
My suggestion is to check the reviews on Amazon and other sites for that drive. There were several "drive died in a month" posts on this product. Given Seagate's reliability as of late, I might check around to see if this is a major problem with this drive.

I would also like to second the notion about the SSD for speed. I put an Intel 320 SSD (160GB) in my first-gen MacBook Pro and was amazed at the difference in performance. Cold booting in less than 10 seconds is great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.