Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmerls

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
white plains
Well this is MacRumors :D

Has anyone heard about a new and better AppleTV soon to be released?

I'd hate to buy yesterday's news so late in the game.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The current model came out less than two months ago. Why would Apple release a new one already? The previous model was in production for a year and a half before they updated it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The current model came out less than two months ago. Why would Apple release a new one already? The previous model was in production for a year and a half before they updated it.

^This. The most recent version (gen. 3) is can playback 1080p so at this point, next significant changes are likely not hardware based (i.e. App Store) and could be added via OS updates so I see no reason to get the current model if its features fit your needs.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007

So late in the game? They just came out with the current version two months ago. I figure it has about 18-24 months left to go before an update. Apple has never updated the ATV quickly.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Hmmmm.... I was going to say "go look in the Buyer's Guide" yada yada yada.... But lo and behold, ATV is not in the Buyer's Guide.

If the OP was asking about the rumored Apple Television, well, none of us here know the answer to that.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Are you referring to the tiny AppleTV media hub or a physical television set?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple TV set will (most likely) release on 2014

Apple TV 3 (box) was already released on 2012

An upgraded version of the ATV3 (3.5?) would be release on 2013

shmerls

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
white plains

How embarrassing for me. I have been so preoccupied that I missed the release. Good news is I bought one yesterday :D

Thanks,
Steven

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010

groan.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.