Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I have the lowest tier Mac Mini 2012, and it runs OS X server.

Currently I have configured: VPN, Websites, Caching, File Sharing, FTP, Time Machine, Open Directory, and run Plex Media Server and uTorrent web access.

Would those proccesses all together slow down the computer that much? When I look at activity monitor, they take up basically nothing, the CPU usage is never over 20% when not in use (like games, etc.), plenty of free RAM, etc. yet the computer runs VERY slow a lot of the time. Does running all those server proccesses slow down the computer, or is it another issue that I have to figure out?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
When you say it is slow, what precisely are you seeing that is slow? Responding to clicks, opening programs, encoding files?

My guess from my own experience is that you have slowness when loading things from disk. The disk in a Mac mini is not the fastest thing out there. But once things are loaded it is ok.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Slow loading of everything. Chrome, Safari, all programs, web pages, and yes, even getting beach ball when clicking things.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Show the Disk Activity graph when it's acting slow. What amount of data is being read or written? What's the data rate? Post a screen shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.