Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckeyz

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Advise

I would get Dreamweaver and Photoshop. I have been using Dreamweaver since it came out ( 97? ) and think most clients ( don't have a lot of money right now ) are probably going to ask you to clean up crappy sites. Rather than start from scratch, you will want to have a tool that lets you design on the fly and skim through color coded source. It has ftp built in, and it's pretty easy to use. I have been designing websites ( and CD-Roms before the web was fast ) since the early 90's. CMS's are great but you will do really well if you are fast and flexible. Lots of negative people out there, good luck!

:apple:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
People can generally figure out how to drag and drop things themselves. What makes you think that anyone would pay you for this service when there are numerous free options available?

I know already 4 friends that would happily pay 200-500 bucks for the creation a website that they can easily modify and these people also would be willnig to pay $100 to have it updated once a year.

They don't have the skills or time to deal with setting up a website. All they want is droop off a bunch of pics, some text and then get a website that looks cool and they can blog and upload pics and videos. And now and then they want a bigger change that they would pay for. I think the business model could hold as a side business.

PiKzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Mexico city
Traying to upload a htlm to iweb

Hi, am a Photograper and i design photobooks, i just got a software that makes pdf files into flipping books, I have all the files that go with the html file, but don't know how to uploaded and make it work on mi iweb webpage. Please advice.
Txs.

stirlingdavy

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Others will provide online tutorials to help you easily navigate through different software functionality which you will acquaint to it. Website design software that is not backed by customer care help or tutorials may be difficult to use and hence unsuitable for many users.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
OMG !!

the guy just asked for an alternative and most of you give him a lecture?

What's the problem with him trying to use iWeb and help a few friends or even get a few bucks on the side?

The OP didn't mention anything about building websites for friends, he mentioned setting up a web design company. That implies some level of professionalism, but then he's asking about drag and drop applications because he can't be bothered to code properly.

Building websites is a complicated business, if done correctly. The minute you ask people to pay for your services you'd better be doing it properly.

So what if he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life learning html coding etc. If it's something simple and done in 20 minutes with iweb is it wrong?

If you want to be a professional web developer you will have to spend the rest of your life learning. The web evolves, you have to keep up or become irrelevant.

After all you should not be the judge of his work, his clients will do this.

I wish there was something as easy as iweb drag and drop out there and yes I am another one who can't write html and can't afford to spend in order to make a decent simple web site.

I have seen others doing it and i get better results with iweb.

If you're maintaining your own website then fair enough, use a drag and drop app, they are aimed at amateurs, but no professional should be using iWeb.

mesarie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
Cochin, Kerala, India
Web Design Software

I think, CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer, Serif WebPlus, Web Easy Professional, NetObjects Fusion, Evrsoft First Page, HTML-Kit Tools, AceHTML 6 Pro, UltraEdit, TopStyle, BestAddress HTML Editor are excellent list of software that can help the designer a lot and these are some assets of many designers too.

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
The OP didn't mention anything about building websites for friends, he mentioned setting up a web design company. That implies some level of professionalism, but then he's asking about drag and drop applications because he can't be bothered to code properly.

Building websites is a complicated business, if done correctly. The minute you ask people to pay for your services you'd better be doing it properly.

If you want to be a professional web developer you will have to spend the rest of your life learning. The web evolves, you have to keep up or become irrelevant.

If you're maintaining your own website then fair enough, use a drag and drop app, they are aimed at amateurs, but no professional should be using iWeb.

You don't like his services you don't go and pay him so simple. There are so many alternatives out there. It's not how professional you are that's is going to bring money in. Wake up. If he makes moderate work and get paid from either ignorant or satisfied customers then he got the. Job done. If he needs to progress because he's out of business then he will have to rethink his options and learn HTML.

Apparently you are not a manager but you know how to follow orders and be professional . This is normal. Everyone is needed in business world today.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
You don't like his services you don't go and pay him so simple. There are so many alternatives out there. It's not how professional you are that's is going to bring money in. Wake up. If he makes moderate work and get paid from either ignorant or satisfied customers then he got the. Job done. If he needs to progress because he's out of business then he will have to rethink his options and learn HTML.

Apparently you are not a manager but you know how to follow orders and be professional . This is normal. Everyone is needed in business world today.

So you're saying it's ok to provide substandard work because the customer doesn't know any better?

Secondly, I don't follow anyone's orders. I guess you have no clue what you're talking about.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Already own RW5 and have ran into issues with some of the theme pack licenses where they are for "personal use only" which means as a professional developer one would still need to purchase a "commericial" license. :(

Always be sure to read the licenses for anything offered to find any limitations.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I am liking what I see of Macaw. The $99 price tag to get in on the action is a bit steep for me. I have Coda2 and RapidWeaver but see where Macaw would give me more power. Now if I were doing contract or freelance work it would be a no brainer. :D

May just have to fork over $99 so I can get in on that action.

Should check out Macaw on Kickstarter, it looks really good for those that would rather design a site than code it and outputs clean code to boot.

http://macaw.co & http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/macaw/macaw-the-code-savvy-web-design-tool

This probably looks a bit spammy, but I have nothing to do with the project just saw it on Kickstarter the other day and thought it looked really cool so spreading the love!

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
its not like im creating big websites for professional companies, i am focusing on individuals that want a personal website for a service!! i can write code... just cant be bothered!

So what's wrong with Muse?
It's geared for small business/individuals.

cargoplex

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2006
Bethesda, MD
One word: Squarespace

You set up the initial site, customizing it how ever simple or complex the client wants, then give them "the keys" once it's ready. You get paid for the "design" and the client gets a reliable, future proof website. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.