Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Apple have said that the secret to their success was to strip back the number of products they offered. With the introduction of the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s, along with all the mobile variants of those models for the various networks, the number of products in their inventory has increased considerably. Now I wonder whether Apple would limit the number of products for the iPad line or whether they'll have to offer so many variants to remain competitive?

Personally, I'd prefer to see one wifi and cellular model for the iPad 5 and the but I suspect Apple would prefer the increased margin of the cellular models and the lower price point for the wifi only models.

Maybe a 16GB entry model with wifi & cellular at $549 would seem perfect. Can cut out 8 model configuration to a 4 model configuration with pricing like $549, $649, $749 and $849 ( 16, 32, 64 or 128GB)

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Maybe a 16GB entry model with wifi & cellular at $549 would seem perfect. Can cut out 8 model configuration to a 4 model configuration with pricing like $549, $649, $749 and $849 ( 16, 32, 64 or 128GB)

If this were to be the case, (not that I believe it will), I would definitely not buy the iPad mini I am currently planning to get. Firstly I have unlimited data and tethering on my phone so have no wish to pay for more data, also having had an iPad 2 in the past, I know that my use for it will be limited due to the restrictions of iOS. (Now if it were a touch screen device running a version of OSX, that would be completely different!) I love the form factor of the mini as I'm finding the iPhone screen to be too small for comfortable browsing but would be unwilling to pay more than the current price of the wifi version.

I am sure there are many people who wouldn't pay the extra for the cellular version and would just buy another tablet instead.

My own suggestion to simplify the product line up, (which would definitely not be one Apple would choose), would be to only make one size, maybe 16GB or 32GB, but have an SD card slot for extra memory.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
i'm really hoping for a mini that is basically a shrunken down ipad 5. I love the size, but would also love all the power and features that the 5 would bring (a7x, touch id etc).

Even if it cost a little more, would be the perfect product imo.

qft

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Updated my predictions in the original post. Probably a little on the optimistic side regarding A7X and TouchID in the Mini.

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
I would not be surprised if they start it at 32 GB for at least the iPad 5 and maybe even the iPad Mini. Although I do agree it is somewhat uncertain I would not think it's that unlikely and I see a real shot for Apple to market itself against the competition for a low cost. The cost of the extra storage is extremely low for Apple but a bump in storage would mean that the entry level iPad is no longer compared to the entry level Android tablet which means the price difference will not seem as high.

The problem with this kind of speculation with storage capacities (which seems to pop up before every apple announcement), is it assumes that the $10 difference to manufacture a 16Gb vs. 32Gb iPad is the true cost. The cost to Apple, is the lost sales/margins that they would be giving away. The reality is, if Apple did away with the 16gb version, they would essentially be taking a $100 hit per iPad to all those people who would have paid the extra money for the 32Gb version. I think this amount is much larger than the gained sales from people who buy iPad over the competition for storage. Let's face it, apple does not compete on specs, and most people who are going to buy an iPad won't consider the competition anyway.

Last edited:

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
If you ask me, Apple will release two new iPad minis:

1. iPad mini w/o retina with A6 (~ $299)
2. iPad mini with retina and Touch ID (~$399)
3. iPad 5 with retina and touch ID (~$499)

I can pretty much imagine Tim Cook saying this:
Nailed it with the pricing, A6 and Touch ID was a miss though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.