Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miraishak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
if there is a virus by any chance on my PC and i connect the ipod to transfer music on it. can the ipod catch the virus?

what is i connect the ipod, and disconnect it before it even configures itself on the PC. is there a chance in this case that it caches the virus?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
No, but it's possible that if you transfer songs from an infected PC to the iPod, and to an uninfected PC, that the uninfected PC would catch the virus.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
No, but it's possible that if you transfer songs from an infected PC to the iPod, and to an uninfected PC, that the uninfected PC would catch the virus.

Not if you're using iTunes and a song that actually plays in it. Theoretically you can put a virus in the form of an MP3, but if you try to listen you're not gonna hear any music :p.

I'd wager most people do listen before loading any "outside" downloads ;) just because you need to make sure you downloaded what you were looking for.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think there is some sort of Malware which makes the Touch get really hot and lose battery quicker, no?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Apple once shipped some Video iPods with a virus in the "use as a disk" section of the storage:

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

The iPod Touch could carry the virus, if a file you downloaded had it, but there's no way for it to spread in the file system, it would just stay in that one file. Only if you were to pull it out using the built-in iTunes file share and put it in your hard drive would it be an issue.

RjFnC

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
You do not have to put an infected file on an iPod for a virus to get on it. Just plugging any USB device with storage space can get a virus and then when the device is plugged into an uninfected computer the virus will spread on to that computer even if it is and iOS device. The virus will sit there and do nothing because it doesn't know or understand the OS it is on but once it sees the Windows file system it will run.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
can the ipod catch the virus?

I played Angry Birds (on iPod) a LOT last month for 2 days in a row. The following day, I called in sick to work.

----------

Absolutely not. Where do these bogus stories come from?

They come from Google and Samsung shills. They are paid to spread negative FUD about Apple (the one company they wish would die).

carter2

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
It is not impossible, but highly unlikely. Just because it has a hard drive does not necessarily mean that it can pick up a virus automatically though. Only Apple makes the software and hardware (no third parties) and the only recognized file formats are media files. Nothing is virus proof, but Apple products are not affected by PC viruses since they use different file types.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.