Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey guys, i'm using 'Preview' at the moment. i've got a very important work related document that i've exported from OpenOffice and into a pdf file. so it started out as a .doc file in OpenOffice and now it's a .pdf file. i just want to make it so i can't make any further changes to it.

any help would be really great!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
hey guys, i'm using 'Preview' at the moment. i've got a very important work related document that i've exported from OpenOffice and into a pdf file. so it started out as a .doc file in OpenOffice and now it's a .pdf file. i just want to make it so i can't make any further changes to it.

any help would be really great!

Open in Preview, Click on File>Print. Bottom left corner of dialogue box click PDF. Click on Save As PDF... and then on Security Options in new dialogue box. You will the get a dialogue box that will offer you security options.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 8.06.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 8.06.58 AM.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 5,189
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 8.07.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 8.07.42 AM.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 3,791

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
If you want really good PDF security options, you pretty much are going to want to use Acrobat pro or PDF Pen Pro. I don't know if they can restrict more than what Preview does, but it is probably more native.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If you just want to prevent Preview from making edits to the file, you can always lock the file in the Finder to stop it being over-written.

Preview uses the same security that Acrobat does: it's the PDF standard for security. However, Acrobat will have greater ability to configure and control that security.

It's worth mentioning that there are programs on the internet to strip the security from PDFs, so technically: if someone does want to copy, print or modify the contents, you can't stop them.

Reactions: dwig

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
After converting a document to a .pdf you will not easily be able ( accidentally ) change it. Changing the text of a PDF requires several button clicks and 'Pro' software to do it.

As others have said, if you are looking to ensure the document CANNOT ever be changed by someone, that is impossible. You can only make it MORE difficult to change it.

steven_meritt1

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
Open in Preview, Click on File>Print. Bottom left corner of dialogue box click PDF. Click on Save As PDF... and then on Security Options in new dialogue box. You will the get a dialogue box that will offer you security options.

I'm new to Mac (finally switched from my Windows PC) and I find this useful. I had no clue that Preview can be used to protect pdf files. On my Windows laptop I was using: this desktop utility to password protect and lock my PDF files but unfortunately it does not work on my Mac. That Windows utility protect PDF with both user (no one can access PDF file without entering password) and permission password (restrict PDF printing, editing, copying, etc.) but it seems preview can only protect PDF file with open password. I guess I have to buy the monthly subscription of PDF Acrobat now!

Last edited:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL

Preview uses the same security that Acrobat does: it's the PDF standard for security. However, Acrobat will have greater ability to configure and control that security....

the OP's OpenOffice should offer the same security options as Acrobat and Preview. When doing the original "Export as PDF..." it is a simply matter of setting a password(s) on the "Security" tab and then checking the desired options.

Reactions: steven_meritt1

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Preview is an obnoxiously useful app. It's not spectacular at anything, but it's pretty damn good at an awful lot of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.