Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Seems like a lot of folks are receiving an iPhone 5 with damage out of the box. Just got mine last night and wouldn't you know it?

The display glass wasn't properly seated on the right side of the phone. When you touch the glass on that side it would move in and out of the phone frame. Grrr. I didn't even have a chance to play with it. Contacted Apple and because it was ordered from ATT, I now have to try to get a replacement from ATT. hopefully I won't have to wait the 3-4 weeks that the phones are backordered.

Anyone else having display issues out of the box?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Seems like a lot of folks are receiving an iPhone 5 with damage out of the box. Just got mine last night and wouldn't you know it?

The display glass wasn't properly seated on the right side of the phone. When you touch the glass on that side it would move in and out of the phone frame. Grrr. I didn't even have a chance to play with it. Contacted Apple and because it was ordered from ATT, I now have to try to get a replacement from ATT. hopefully I won't have to wait the 3-4 weeks that the phones are backordered.

Anyone else having display issues out of the box?

I have the same issue.

It's driving me crazy.

Have you managed to get a replacement?

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
I had the same issue but on top left corner. I wasn't going to deal with it but I couldn't take it anymore and went to the Apple store this morning. They replaced it no questions asked.
I'm a happy camper now.:)

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
Original poster
no replacement yet. ATT had none in stock. and has me sending it to apple for replacement. what a run around. apple says i should have a replacement 3-5 days after they receive it. In the meantime. i'm stuck with a p.o.s. dumb go-phone from att (that i had to buy, cost refunded upon return). Sure hope apple can get me a correct replacement asap. If the closest apple store wasn't 4 hours away, i could have had this fixed by now.:(

CongressDJ

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
I'm having the same problem. Got my iPhone 64gb AT&T black iPhone 5 on release day via AT&T. As of today, the screen just started popping under light pressure from typing and tapping and it is beginning to sound like that failed, crappy BlackBerry with the clicky touch screen.

Ugh.

What's worse, neither Apple nor AT&T have any replacement stock in the Washington, DC region.

rlantagne21

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
MA
Had the same issue with my 32gb Black for AT&T... The bottom right corner "clicked" when you pushed on it. Took it to my local Apple store, and one of the genius's there told me that the glass does actually come off and that's how they repair it? Wasn't sure if that's true or not, but either way, I had mine swapped out.

CongressDJ

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
I'm having the same problem. Got my iPhone 64gb AT&T black iPhone 5 on release day via AT&T. As of today, the screen just started popping under light pressure from typing and tapping and it is beginning to sound like that failed, crappy BlackBerry with the clicky touch screen.

Ugh.

What's worse, neither Apple nor AT&T have any replacement stock in the Washington, DC region.

Well, was able to get into a Genius Bar this morning and had the thing swapped out. I know the phones for replacement can't possibly be refurbished at this point, but something about seeing your brand new phone get replaced with something that comes out of a non-descript white box takes some of the fun out of my new phone.

At any rate, the tech told me that she could, indeed, hear the popping. However, she suggested that this may turn out to be like the rear glass popping on the 4S which Apple considered to be "normal". If this is truly a sign of quality control to come, and that Apple is actually OK with its flagship device sounding like a Blackberry Storm, then Apple is is deep trouble headed forward. I'm hopeful that the tech was just offering her personal thoughts on the matter, though.

Now I need to figure out if my replacement phone is having trouble with LTE (as it's having trouble hanging onto a signal). I can't deal with another problem so soon... Ugh.

The new phone's screen is better, though. For now...

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
If this is truly a sign of quality control to come, and that Apple is actually OK with its flagship device sounding like a Blackberry Storm, then Apple is is deep trouble headed forward. I'm hopeful that the tech was just offering her personal thoughts on the matter, though.

Apple Maps
Poor QC

Sign of the times.

DenisC03

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Iphone 5 display

I've bought mine from ORANGE RO . the same problem appeared after one week . Loose display glass left middle and right upper corner . Hopefully they will replace it . I tought i was the only one with this problem.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
The popping has happened to all 4 of the iphone 5's i've had so far.

The one i have now does it in the lower left corner and doesn't bother me.

Pretty ridiculous. My launch day unit didnt start doing it until late November, when it started to get cold. I thought maybe the cold had something to do with it, but that just sounds crazy.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
i just noticed mine doing that in the upper right corner when pushed. had mine since launch day from apple. ill probably wait for the black back to get way more scratched up before replacing as you only get one replacement under the standard 1 year apple care warrantee?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I continue to be reassured that passing on the iPhone 5 was the right decision.
We'll see if the 5S gets things right.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
i just noticed mine doing that in the upper right corner when pushed. had mine since launch day from apple. ill probably wait for the black back to get way more scratched up before replacing as you only get one replacement under the standard 1 year apple care warrantee?
:confused:

What are you talking about? Warranty isn't about replacing, warranty is about making sure that the product you bought doesn't have any manufacturing defects.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
None of the iPhone 5's I have in my family (4) have this problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it however, as there could be worse problems you could have than this.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Next time make Apple store appt., talk to genius, get phone replaced on site. None of this sending it in crap.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Nobodies gonna tell me Apple's QC isn't in the toilet. Too many of the same issues being brought up by too many people. Can't wait to get a replacement from Apple, throw it on CL, and go back to Android. And the stereotype is indeed true, Apple is a bunch of snobs.

Last edited:

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
:confused:

What are you talking about? Warranty isn't about replacing, warranty is about making sure that the product you bought doesn't have any manufacturing defects.

Same, same. It's defective, give me a new/refurbished one that doesn't click. I have a year to do so. Get over it.

Tortillaboy

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
I may have been amongst the unluckiest iphone users but I am not at all pleased with this brand for the following reasons:
1. My iphone 4's home button stopped working after 1 year and 2 months from the date of purchase. Sold out.
2. Got my iphone 5. Freezing while charging from the first day. Replaced under warranty.
3. Replacement's power button stopped working a couple of months after first use. Replaced again under warranty.
4. My again replaced iphone 5's screen is loose. You can hear a click at a light press against the detaching screen The issue occurred 3 weeks after it ran out of warranty.

The phone's working though, but the build quality is terrible. No value for money in my case:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.