Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Overg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Should I future proof, and buy the 3.2 27??

I saw in apple site that from some reason, there is almost no options to CPU or gpu upgrade in the 27 base model.
I was wondering is this apple tactic? or that indeed there is hardware diffrence on the board that prevent apple or any lab for that matter to upgrade it?
If this is the case then I must buy the pricier 27 just in case I want to upgrade in the future.

Anyone know?
Overg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2
comatose81
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
No such thing as future-proofing...

Apple's job is to make money, so of course they make the biggest upgrades require purchasing a higher-end model...

If you need the 3.2 model then get it... anonymous Internet strangers can't make decisions for you...

Did I miss anything?
comatose81 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overg View Post
I saw in apple site that from some reason, there is almost no options to CPU or gpu upgrade in the 27 base model.
They've always bundled configurations, although the cpu choices for most purposes are virtually identical. i5 vs i7 is the difference of hyperthreading. By the time you're looking at upgrading, the cheapest 21" will have a faster cpu than the fastest current 27". I would just not worry about it. Upgrading cpus provides longevity for very few people anyway. Upgrading the gpu here is even more pointless. Even if you can find one of the higher end ones, they'll always be expensive. The high end mobile gpus are always difficult to find after market, and the prices tend to be higher than you'd spend just speccing it that way now. A 6970m from last year currently runs around $350-400 on ebay, and I'm not sure if those will work in Macs. They were alienware upgrade kits.

Haswell will change sockets, so you couldn't use those cpus. You can't use a 6 core. This is the fastest cpu for that socket type.

If you're looking for something designed to be opened, you're better off with a gaming machine or a do it yourself build. Most of the people who really go as far as upgrading their own cpus are not afraid to build these things from scratch.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4
HunterMaximus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
As others have said, "future-proofing" is pretty much a myth. It used to be a bit easier in the days where CPU sockets remained the same for many generations and speed improvements were mostly through clock speed gain. These days to get big bumps in performance means new architectures and other improvements that mean you can't just drop a new chip in, nor does a relatively small gain in speed within a generation mean a computer will last much longer than with a slightly slower processor.

That said, buy whatever you need. Personally I went for the i7. It should be a fair bit faster for video encoding and compiling source code, both of which I dabble in. If you do that sort of work, then it may be valuable to you. Otherwise the base model should be sufficient (frankly, it's still very fast I spoiled myself with the i7, but I know I'd be perfectly happy with the base model). I think the 3.2 GHz i5 isn't really worthwhile at all if you want CPU speed, the i7 delivers much more bang for the buck, otherwise get the base model. The upgraded i5 will likely make a pretty minuscule difference for the money.
HunterMaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Incindium
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMaximus View Post
As others have said, "future-proofing" is pretty much a myth. It used to be a bit easier in the days where CPU sockets remained the same for many generations and speed improvements were mostly through clock speed gain. These days to get big bumps in performance means new architectures and other improvements that mean you can't just drop a new chip in, nor does a relatively small gain in speed within a generation mean a computer will last much longer than with a slightly slower processor.

That said, buy whatever you need. Personally I went for the i7. It should be a fair bit faster for video encoding and compiling source code, both of which I dabble in. If you do that sort of work, then it may be valuable to you. Otherwise the base model should be sufficient (frankly, it's still very fast I spoiled myself with the i7, but I know I'd be perfectly happy with the base model). I think the 3.2 GHz i5 isn't really worthwhile at all if you want CPU speed, the i7 delivers much more bang for the buck, otherwise get the base model. The upgraded i5 will likely make a pretty minuscule difference for the money.
Actually the important part of the high end model is the 675mx video card which is a really significant upgrade over 660mx and not the proc speed increase. The i7 on top of that is a waste of cash since the i5 is going to sit there idle most of the time anyway.
Incindium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
HunterMaximus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
Actually the important part of the high end model is the 675mx video card which is a really significant upgrade over 660mx and not the proc speed increase. The i7 on top of that is a waste of cash since the i5 is going to sit there idle most of the time anyway.
I think it's more accurate to say that it depends on what the computer is being used for.

Definitely the graphics card is a nice upgrade, but only if you do graphics intensive stuff. The i7 can make a substantial difference if you're doing CPU heavy tasks like video encoding and compiling (close to 50% over the base model for well-threaded processes).

Neither upgrade makes a lot of sense for prolonging the useful life of an iMac in general purpose use however.
HunterMaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Overg
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Ok great answers!
However one more thing...

Maybe the premium 27 inch is built better, ( configuration wise) means maybe there is other easy upgradable undeclared options like ssd?
So for example in 5 years from now when ssd will be standard I could upgrade the hd to any ssd while in base model, from some reason unknow to us , it won't be possible?


This is actually the single element left-for me before buying
Overg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:09 PM   #8
HunterMaximus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overg View Post
Ok great answers!
However one more thing...

Maybe the premium 27 inch is built better, ( configuration wise) means maybe there is other easy upgradable undeclared options like ssd?
So for example in 5 years from now when ssd will be standard I could upgrade the hd to any ssd while in base model, from some reason unknow to us , it won't be possible?


This is actually the single element left-for me before buying
The RAM in all 27" models is user-accessible. Any other upgrades (on any of the 2012 iMacs) require removing the screen and potentially voiding your warranty. It's doable, but not what I would call a simple upgrade for most people, even if they've had experience working on other computers.
HunterMaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:24 PM   #9
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overg View Post

Maybe the premium 27 inch is built better, ( configuration wise) means maybe there is other easy upgradable undeclared options like ssd?
So for example in 5 years from now ...
They're built the same. We're now into the era at Apple where they make it extremely difficult to do any upgrades.

Forget "future proofing" that's a myth. Things move too fast now to expect more than about three years out of it before Apple makes the latest OS upgrade incompatible.

You can still use the computer, but you'll be stuck with an old OS. Not as bad as it sounds, just something to be aware of.

Buy only what you need now so if in two or three years you want a new one, you'll have less invested in this one.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why future proof? AppleGoat MacBook Pro 8 Feb 28, 2014 05:27 AM
How future proof is the 5C? wordoflife iPhone 83 Feb 12, 2014 12:22 PM
future-proof?????? jkcerda MacBook Pro 20 Dec 24, 2013 11:57 AM
how future proof are the new iMacs? applefiend95 iMac 4 Oct 25, 2012 02:43 PM
Is the i7 any more future proof than the i5? Mjmar MacBook Air 4 Jun 12, 2012 04:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC