Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:12 PM   #51
Gix1k
macrumors 68020

Sold my iPad 3 today after getting the mini on Friday. No regrets!
MacBook Pro Retina 15"
Gix1k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:23 PM   #52
IbisDoc
macrumors 6502

Going to sell my 65" 1080P television, and purchase a 50" 720P instead, because it's lighter. Then I'm going to post everywhere I can about how much better it is, and that the lesser screen is not really a big deal. Then if anyone disagrees, I'm going to tell them that they're just envious and can't afford the 50".
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:36 PM   #53
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Interesting....

I just had my first extended experience with the mini a few hours ago. Now, I admit up front I have yet to own an iPad or any tablet

I would have walked out of the store with one today if they had them. It's perfect for everyone other than pixel peepers. IMO, the 30% of screen space is "very noticeable".

But, to the real point. When I went over to use the 4th Gen iPad, I swear, I said to myself, why would I want this over the mini? It felt like a brick after the mini. Now, I realize after one owns the an iPad one becomes used to it's mass.

But I'll tell ya. Someone going into an Apple store, IMO, is going to take home the mini 6 out of every 10 times.

Just saying.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:17 PM   #54
That70sGAdawg
macrumors 6502

Location: North Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
It really depends on what other devices that you use, or carry daily. The Mini is a better "go between" a light weight computer and a phone of average size..
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:33 PM   #55
TonyK
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
I love my mini iPad. I am also one of those who sold their iPad 3 after having the iPad mini for a day. Portability won the day here. I suspect thats why people would choose a nexus or galaxy tab over an iPad before this mini came out. The iPad is positioned to be a laptop replacement for most and the mini is supposed to be the tablet. Very few people (5-10%) actually need the power of a full fledged laptop.
It is probably just me but I cannot call any iPad a replacement for a full featured computer until I can do everything I want on a tablet. By then it will be as heavy and feature rich as a full featured laptop is today.

While I can do a lot, there is also a lot of things I can't do on the tablet securely or easily. My financial program requires Java. Don't care for solutions that offer online access because I don't trust them. Hence an iPad will not replace my desktop for this reason.

Can't use full fledged Photoshop or Aperture on an iPad so there are issues there as well. Yes, I use SnapSeed and I have in a pinch transferred images from my camera to an iPad. But I cannot color calibrate an iPad and my desktop is calibrated. Another reason why an iPad cannot replace my desktop.

There are a lot of things I do with the iPad and I've even created content with it. It is important to recognize limitations so we are not blinded from the truth. The truth is the iPad will not replace traditional computers for everyone. Heck, there are people still using film today in a digital world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
I have an Ipad 3 and I cannot hold it comfortable using my left hand holing on the left edge to read long article or play game for more than 15 minutes. Weight is a major issue for Ipad 3/4 and it is not a new thing. I use Ipad 3 mostly on my desk now or let it sit on my lap if I am sitting in a sofa. How do you use your Ipad 3/4 that you can hold it for a long time with one hand? I would love to learn the trick.
Holding in 1 hand would be taxing. I use 2 hands for mine, or use a stand if there is a flat surface about.

Then again, holding anything of any weight is going to tax holding ability. I remember having to hold a boot at arms length until the Drill Sargent told us we could drop our arms. Now that is heavy.

There are going to be situations and medical issues that may make using any device of any weight painful. Thankfully there are choices for people to select the device that fits their needs.

Take care,
TonyK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:57 PM   #56
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

After two days of having an iPad mini, the old iPad does look incredibly dated all of a sudden, at least in its form factor. The mini is the correct size for an iPad, no doubt.
tensiondeadache is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:58 PM   #57
drew0020
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbisDoc View Post
Going to sell my 65" 1080P television, and purchase a 50" 720P instead, because it's lighter. Then I'm going to post everywhere I can about how much better it is, and that the lesser screen is not really a big deal. Then if anyone disagrees, I'm going to tell them that they're just envious and can't afford the 50".
I love this and completely agree. Love the size of the mini but the screen sucks ha. Last I checked a tablet is the screen. To each their own.
drew0020 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:05 PM   #58
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

People use to call an iPad a giant iPhone...I literally feel like that is what a mini is.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:09 PM   #59
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbisDoc View Post
Really? You carry your TV with you that you need a lighter one?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:13 PM   #60
thelead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Really? You carry your TV with you that you need a lighter one?
While I agree, try to defend the new iMac with that logic.
thelead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:16 PM   #61
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

I wouldn't trade a full size iPad with retina for a mini even if it was given too me so no the mini is not better than the ipad3

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
Tablets are supposed to be portable. Carrying a iPad retina is like carrying an iMac.
Are u a girl?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:26 PM   #62
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
It is probably just me but I cannot call any iPad a replacement for a full featured computer until I can do everything I want on a tablet. By then it will be as heavy and feature rich as a full featured laptop is today.

While I can do a lot, there is also a lot of things I can't do on the tablet securely or easily. My financial program requires Java. Don't care for solutions that offer online access because I don't trust them. Hence an iPad will not replace my desktop for this reason.

Can't use full fledged Photoshop or Aperture on an iPad so there are issues there as well. Yes, I use SnapSeed and I have in a pinch transferred images from my camera to an iPad. But I cannot color calibrate an iPad and my desktop is calibrated. Another reason why an iPad cannot replace my desktop.

There are a lot of things I do with the iPad and I've even created content with it. It is important to recognize limitations so we are not blinded from the truth. The truth is the iPad will not replace traditional computers for everyone. Heck, there are people still using film today in a digital world.

Holding in 1 hand would be taxing. I use 2 hands for mine, or use a stand if there is a flat surface about.

Then again, holding anything of any weight is going to tax holding ability. I remember having to hold a boot at arms length until the Drill Sargent told us we could drop our arms. Now that is heavy.

There are going to be situations and medical issues that may make using any device of any weight painful. Thankfully there are choices for people to select the device that fits their needs.

Take care,
Yeah i agree that an iPad isnt a replacement for a full fledged computer per se. However, I do think most people dont need the power of a full on computer honestly. I think 90% of users only really need an iPad honestly. It does all of the things people are used to doing on a regular basis.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:39 PM   #63
irnchriz
macrumors 65816

What a load of pish about the mini being more portable. Is it lighter? Of course
Does it fit in your pocket? **** no. Oh and don't give me the cargo pants argument as that crap also applies to the retina iPad which I can fit into the leg pocket but its hardly practical.

Is it worth getting if you already have a retina iPad? Nope, as nice as it looks and feels it pales in comparison to the retina display iPads especially for reading. Once you go retina you can't go back to low res.

If you are on a budget go for it otherwise grab a proper iPad.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:42 PM   #64
Bokes
macrumors 6502

Confused.
You traded in a Dodge Challenger for a VW?
Ok
Gl
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:44 PM   #65
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose81 View Post
You made the wrong choice. Retina trumps all.

Can we make a sticky "justify your purchase here" thread? Please?
That's why ice cream comes in multiple flavors. One does not satisfy all.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:51 PM   #66
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
Tablets are supposed to be portable. Carrying a iPad retina is like carrying an iMac.
Right....
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:29 PM   #67
iosuser
macrumors 6502

Received my mini yesterday. Missed the delivery Friday, pretty surprise when FedEx came knocking yesterday. I guess they worked yesterday to clear the backlog because of sandy.

I'm loving this thing! Typing on it right now. I already have an iPad 3. The mini is an addition (to replace a certain other 7" tab I'm finding the mini much easier to touch thumb type (not looking at the keyboard) using the split keyboard in landscape mode than the iPad 3.

Many suggested that one is too weak if one can't support the 1.5lbs weight of the iPad 3? Do you seriously think it's entirely a weight issue? It's about the comfort of holding a lighter and smaller tablet. I'm your average sized guy, I do sets of biceps curls using 50lbs dumbbells, so I can handle the 1.5lbs iPad 3 just fine. But the mini is more *comfortable* to hold and I prefer it.
iosuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:35 PM   #68
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iosuser View Post
Received my mini yesterday. Missed the delivery Friday, pretty surprise when FedEx came knocking yesterday. I guess they worked yesterday to clear the backlog because of sandy.

I'm loving this thing! Typing on it right now. I already have an iPad 3. The mini is an addition (to replace a certain other 7" tab I'm finding the mini much easier to touch thumb type (not looking at the keyboard) using the split keyboard in landscape mode than the iPad 3.

Many suggested that one is too weak if one can't support the 1.5lbs weight of the iPad 3? Do you seriously think it's entirely a weight issue? It's about the comfort of holding a lighter and smaller tablet. I'm your average sized guy, I do sets of biceps curls using 50lbs dumbbells, so I can handle the 1.5lbs iPad 3 just fine. But the mini is more *comfortable* to hold and I prefer it.
I haven't used the 3 since the mini arrived for the same reasons.. You don't have to explain yourself to some of the dumb posts made here..the good thing is having both we don't have to be impartial one way or the other
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:40 PM   #69
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
I haven't used the 3 since the mini arrived for the same reasons.. You don't have to explain yourself to some of the dumb posts made here..the good thing is having both we don't have to be impartial one way or the other
It's obviously a tricky situation b.c it boils down to screen vs portability. I think the mini is great if you are going out, but sitting in bed or on a couch I would rather have screen quality.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:07 PM   #70
iosuser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
It's obviously a tricky situation b.c it boils down to screen vs portability. I think the mini is great if you are going out, but sitting in bed or on a couch I would rather have screen quality.
Back to the 1.5lbs dumbbell I'm bs'ing if I say the iPad 3 screen is not any better, but the mini is not bad, certainly better than iPad 1 or 2. Speed is not an issue either, everything is still silky smooth. Doesn't matter I have both and will be happy to use either.
iosuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad