Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

A client brought over a file someone else converted from his HD Panasonic camcorder.

h. 264 Avi files - 1920x1080 @ 25 fps

I'm dropped them into FCX without issue then created a pro res file which of course has the same 25

I need to output to DVD so I took the pro res, dropped it into Bitvice (m2v compression software - better than compressor) and chose 720 x480 anamorphic 30 fps.

The file wouldn't go into DVD Studio Pro - said it was a PAL asset.

So fine, I re-ran it with 25 fps as the choice in Bitvice. It was an unrecognizable format.

Obviously I need to convert the 25 fps to 30, but I"m wondering how to do that. I've never had to and with the Christmas rush, I have to be honest in saying I don't have the time to figure it out.

I tried converting the avi in MPEG streamclip, but that didn't change the fps either.

Thanks,
Keebler

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Been a looong time since I've done anything with video but this would be my starting point

Copy the pro-res file and conform that from 25FPS file into a 24fps file

Cinema Tools under the old final cut would let you do that, with Final Cut X the QTEdit tool in Digital Rebellions 'Pro Media Tools' demo version should do the job. That's a fast process as its only really rewriting the header information of the file, not re-encoding all the video or writing it to a new file.

End result will be a file that plays around 4% slower than the original (not really noticeable, 25FPS PAL conversions of 24 FPS films do the same in reverse all the time)

once you've got the 24FPS version render that in the app of your choice as a progressive 720*480 24FPS mpeg2 and then bring that into the dvd authoring app you use (or start by rendering just a few mins from it and see if the DVD authoring app is happy with the test render first before rendering the whole thing)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Been a looong time since I've done anything with video but this would be my starting point

Copy the pro-res file and conform that from 25FPS file into a 24fps file

Cinema Tools under the old final cut would let you do that, with Final Cut X the QTEdit tool in Digital Rebellions 'Pro Media Tools' demo version should do the job. That's a fast process as its only really rewriting the header information of the file, not re-encoding all the video or writing it to a new file.

End result will be a file that plays around 4% slower than the original (not really noticeable, 25FPS PAL conversions of 24 FPS films do the same in reverse all the time)

once you've got the 24FPS version render that in the app of your choice as a progressive 720*480 24FPS mpeg2 and then bring that into the dvd authoring app you use (or start by rendering just a few mins from it and see if the DVD authoring app is happy with the test render first before rendering the whole thing)

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.