Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
That won't happen nor should it. I have a nexus and iOS is still better overall. There are some nice things about Android but it requires too much time. And really all thus customization people speak of is very few things. The entire OS is dell over the place. You have to remember settings and menus for what seems every app.

iOS won't change drastically, it's just not going to happen. Looks at osx. I'm sure well see some things that make it smoother and more efficient but a new face for it. Not going to happen and it shouldn't.

Yea I know it want happen. That is the problem. Apple can't keep selling to soccer moms and hope they upgrade every 2 years. Us tech people buy every year and we are looking for something new. Why do you say iOS does not need a new face? Have you seen the reports about the iPhone 5 manufacturing being slowed down? Now I know no one knows why apple is doing this, but every one has a pretty good guess. iOS just is not new and the best any more. I know there are people like you that would never want to see something new in the way of the face of iOS, but just look at the numbers. I Know apple want change anything, and some people are fine with that. I just don't think apple and iOS can last for the long run without some change. iOS 7,8, and most likely 9 we won't see it, but if apple wants a piece of the smartphone pie they better get working.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Yea I know it want happen. That is the problem. Apple can't keep selling to soccer moms and hope they upgrade every 2 years. Us tech people buy every year and we are looking for something new. Why do you say iOS does not need a new face? Have you seen the reports about the iPhone 5 manufacturing being slowed down? Now I know no one knows why apple is doing this, but every one has a pretty good guess. iOS just is not new and the best any more. I know there are people like you that would never want to see something new in the way of the face of iOS, but just look at the numbers. I Know apple want change anything, and some people are fine with that. I just don't think apple and iOS can last for the long run without some change. iOS 7,8, and most likely 9 we won't see it, but if apple wants a piece of the smartphone pie they better get working.

Apple shouldn't change for change sake.

When Apple comes up with an idea that is simpler and easier than a grid of icons, then they will do it.

What shouldn't happen, and luckily there is some very talented people at Apple that won't let it happen, is doing new things just because they are new. Just adding a new layer of options, you know, just adding quick toggles to notification center because it kind of makes sense, not because it makes the OS better.

Making the OS better would be getting rid of such settings, and having the phone manage itself, leaving the user to use the phone, not manage it. I think this is a more appealing direction to go in. Don't worry about turning off WiFi and Bluetooth 4 or 5 timse a day, let the phone do these things without the user ever even realising. Thats the future, I think.

I want to see change, but I think it will go in the direction or less is more. Less options, less clutter, less on screen, more simple.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Apple should hire him/her as this was pretty cool albeit some features are over the top, but nonetheless it was cool

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
To be honest even I thought some of the steps to do something seemed a bit over the top.

For the settings/toggles just use a swipe gesture like Tap, hold and swipe the left to get to customised quick settings. Or use the notification centre.

Quick setting changes and widgets with an improvement to siris capabilities and a few Other ui and app changes, and I would be a happy man.

Oh and greater use of the ipads bigger screen such as side by side apps etc

That said, I'm probably not going back to an iPhone simply because I love the big screen of my Samsung gs3, so I'm mainly concerned about the ipad.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
A little chaotic, but at least someone is trying to make iOS less outdated.

----------

This. iOS feels like a joke, that they make you go through so many menus to access settings that people use dozens of times per day. Also I don't like how when you go to, say, enable or disable wifi, when you try to slide it often times it just moves the page up or down not registering the horizontal swipe. Should be integrated into the pulldown, although that is probably infringing on Android or at least TouchWiz.

why do you disable and enable wifi dozens of times a day?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Apple shouldn't change for change sake.

When Apple comes up with an idea that is simpler and easier than a grid of icons, then they will do it.

What shouldn't happen, and luckily there is some very talented people at Apple that won't let it happen, is doing new things just because they are new. Just adding a new layer of options, you know, just adding quick toggles to notification center because it kind of makes sense, not because it makes the OS better.

Making the OS better would be getting rid of such settings, and having the phone manage itself, leaving the user to use the phone, not manage it. I think this is a more appealing direction to go in. Don't worry about turning off WiFi and Bluetooth 4 or 5 timse a day, let the phone do these things without the user ever even realising. Thats the future, I think.

I want to see change, but I think it will go in the direction or less is more. Less options, less clutter, less on screen, more simple.

I am not saying change it just because. I say the OS needs a new look. Sure what they have works, but so do the other smartphone companies. That does not stop them from trying new things. Apple did not get were they are with the iPhone and ipad by playing it safe, and they can't move forward without taking some chances. Do you really think people would not buy something from apple even if iOS completely looked different. People will buy the iPhone 4 then buy the iPhone 4S just because it has an apple on the back. Apple sells by there name, and people trust that they know what they are doing. If they change it people will buy it.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I am not saying change it just because. I say the OS needs a new look. Sure what they have works, but so do the other smartphone companies. That does not stop them from trying new things. Apple did not get were they are with the iPhone and ipad by playing it safe, and they can't move forward without taking some chances. Do you really think people would not buy something from apple even if iOS completely looked different. People will buy the iPhone 4 then buy the iPhone 4S just because it has an apple on the back. Apple sells by there name, and people trust that they know what they are doing. If they change it people will buy it.

Let's agree to disagree.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Let's agree to disagree.

That is fine. I am sure that there tons of people that think the same as you. I a apple fan I have an iphone 5, ipad 2, and a MacBook. I am just scared things are not moving forward enough and apple is going to continue to slip. I just don't want them to become just another company that everyone forgets about. I came to love apple because it thought outside the box. I just want to see more of that.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Well I loved your concept, and would kill for a UI like that.

Shame it'll take apple another 8 years to get to it

longhorns172006

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Apple is at a disadvantage.

They release one phone, once a year. How many products did Samsung release last year? HTC? Apple does not have the luxury to test changes on different phones. I love apple and have been a user for 4 years now getting the non-"s" models. I have two upgrades available this summer to plans on my account and I'm gonna use one for the s4 just to try it out them I will most likely sell it and buy the next iPhone.

People like change but apple likes things to work and does a great job at trying to get things right before they release it...well most of the time(antennagate/apple maps)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
why do you disable and enable wifi dozens of times a day?

AT&T has "unlimited data" but it tops out at 5GB then it throttles. That means every time I leave a WiFi area I want to turn it off to save battery and turn it back on. When I said dozens of times I was more referring to brightness which I adjust frequently. Turning off and on GPS a lot too when I'm out vs staying in the same place for a few hours. The fact that they are easily accessible is genius. You know the notification pulldown in iOS? Imagine quick settings sitting on top of that, that's all it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.