Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
WTF, I'm pissed. I got 2 itunes under different mbp in my account (for apps download purposes). MBP1 belongs to me & MBP2 belongs to my wife. We listen to different podcast, and some podcast that we listen together, she still hasn't caught up to the new one. Thus she still has lots of old podcast. Yet, when I upgraded both itunes to 11.1, our podcast was synced together, resulting to us subscribed to the same podcast and hers losing all her old podcast that I've listened. I tried to find on her trash can, I got nothing. I looked at her itunes media, podcast folder, they're all gone, no trace. I don't have backup on my wife's mbp. Any solution guys?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Podcasts are a mess in my library after the 11.1 update. All the available episodes of every podcast that I have subscribed to are listed and cannot be deleted. Very annoying. It makes navigating and managing the podcast library much harder than it should be.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Podcasts are a mess in my library after the 11.1 update. All the available episodes of every podcast that I have subscribed to are listed and cannot be deleted. Very annoying. It makes navigating and managing the podcast library much harder than it should be.

Same here......they turned the podcast list into a useless mess.

Syncing is also causing issues.

I'm trying to setup the My Podcasts to get it to work correctly...but it's slow and awful.

-Kevin

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I'm having big problems with this 11.1 update and podcasts as well.
In my case I have a large catalog of old podcasts going back in some cases 7 years or so and iTunes refuses to make use of them. It just shows that "cloud/download" symbol for my podcasts. I would have to redownload them in order to have them in my library, even though as I say i already have them.
I have dumped the Podcast folder in iTunes manually and then brought them back in from an external backup but the same thing happens.
iTunes will not make use of the podcasts that are actually in my computer, insisting I redownload the whole thing.
The other annoying thing is I cannot hide podcasts I haven't downloaded.

AluminumQ45

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
why are none of the major apple news and rumor sites covering this? the apple discussions are full of podcast issues, this forum, etc...

i woke up to 3000 podcasts in my feed because itunes decided to download EVERYTHING. and i deleted them. and it did it AGAIN.

this was the last straw. i switched to downcast.

which, of course, apple doesn't export OPML anymore, so i had to copy and paste the podcast url, hand make an OPML and import it to downcast. good times.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I wish my podcast download all the old episodes, the one that we listened together, "Bob & Sheri" only have the last 2 weeks online. We lost the last 6 months episode :mad:

lincoln927

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
same problem here

i have podcasts that are a hundred episodes deep. now in list view it is extremely cluttered. switched to the My Podcasts view but still not great. All list view needs is a simple toggle to hide episodes not downloaded. it was fine before

every apple "innovation" or "upgrade" always ruins these simple concepts.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
why are none of the major apple news and rumor sites covering this?

I was wondering the same thing. MacRumors could be doing a favor to people who will potentially suffer the same issue by warning them.

I personally lost all of my previously played Podcasts, many of which cannot be downloaded again. They were not anywhere on my computer - not in the podcasts folder or the trash. Just completely gone.

Thankfully I use an online backup service that had them. Actually I restored them and the next morning they were gone again. Turning of podcast synching seems to keep the problem from happening again.

I found the Apple Document Podcasts playlist in iTunes is empty and that fixed mine podcast missing case.

I'm glad that worked for you and people should definitely try it. However in my case and many others, it doesn't help. The Apple Discussions board is rife with them.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
I was wondering the same thing. MacRumors could be doing a favor to people who will potentially suffer the same issue by warning them.

I personally lost all of my previously played Podcasts, many of which cannot be downloaded again. They were not anywhere on my computer - not in the podcasts folder or the trash. Just completely gone.

Thankfully I use an online backup service that had them. Actually I restored them and the next morning they were gone again. Turning of podcast synching seems to keep the problem from happening again.

I'm glad that worked for you and people should definitely try it. However in my case and many others, it doesn't help. The Apple Discussions board is rife with them.

Well done for having a good setup and getting your podcasts back.

Advice for anyone who uses itunes for podcasts rather than the podcasts app - do NOT update to itunes 11.1. It breaks podcast updating and I don't know why nobody bothered to QA what was going on with this change.

Stay with 11.05.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Well I went back to 11.0.5 because as I've said in other posts 11.1 wants to update podcasts I already have as well as a couple of other podcast issues. Then iTunes simply became totally unusable (locking up constantly).
Everything working now on 11.0.5 (luckily had backups for the podcasts iTunes decided to erase).
The only problem is we have 2 iPhones and 1 iPad in the house, all of which are on ios7 which means I can't sync them as it seems ios7 requires 11.1.
I'm going to hold of a while though, hoping that Apple will release an update to 11.1 that'll fix the issues I've been having. Hopefully that's soon!

cosmicpix

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Show Old Episodes

I think what is going on here is that "show old episodes" is broken on iTunes 11.1. iOS7 does not have this problem.

Try these steps.

1. Right-click on the podcast
2. See the menu option "Show Old Episodes"
3. Note that it is not checked

Even though it is not checked, it is still behaving as though it IS checked. This means that the feature "show old episodes" is broken.

Maybe a plist entry is hosed. I don't know.

Here's hoping a fix comes soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.