Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CCT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I have an 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 8 core with dual 2.8ghz Xeons. 6gb ram and I just installed a gtx 570 to replace my 2600xt.

I'm still getting poor performance. I know that the cpu has more to do then the video card but I am still only able to get good framerates at fair settings anything above that will drop the frame rates below 25 fps and ultra to below 20fps.

Is this what I should be expecting? I know my system is fairly old but I thought that the dual xeon would be able to give me good performance paired with the gtx 570.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
As far as I know Wow is not utilizing all your CPUs.
Are you playing in Mac OS or win7?

You can try running in windowed mode and look in activity monitor to see how your CPUs are taxed.

I would expect decent FPS at ultra settings even in Mac os. Although Multisampling and ultra is not really working well in OSX.

CCT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
On ultra averaging 20fps I am showing 20% user, 159% for WoW. So far i'm only running it on Mac OS.

notarichman

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
fps

Me too. Dropped from 75 fps to 10 after this morning's maintenance. Macbook Pro i7 processor. Maybe 18 months old.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
1920x1080

Sorry, must have missed the reply.

Check if Multisampling is not set above 1x and try reducing the resolution until you reach desirable fps.

If nothing above helps, then I guess it's in your setup. What's your performance under Bootcamp?

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
I have an 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 8 core with dual 2.8ghz Xeons. 6gb ram and I just installed a gtx 570 to replace my 2600xt.

I'm still getting poor performance. I know that the cpu has more to do then the video card but I am still only able to get good framerates at fair settings anything above that will drop the frame rates below 25 fps and ultra to below 20fps.

Is this what I should be expecting? I know my system is fairly old but I thought that the dual xeon would be able to give me good performance paired with the gtx 570.

I have that machine, but with the Nvidia 8800 GT. It worked wonderfully with WoW for most of its history, but for the last year or so it's been terrible, stuttering pretty badly (though it doesn't exactly seem to be a frame rate issue per se). It doesn't have this problem even with other Blizzard games.

I'm not sure exactly when the problem started, but I'm fairly certain it came with either the upgrade to Mountain Lion or the upgrade to Pandaria. IIRC, it still works fine under Windows, but I'll test that later....

At any rate, no, this is not what you should be expecting. That setup is easily enough to handle WoW at a good clip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.