Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I know its just in beta stages and it very well be a bug but anybody notice Location Services are constantly requesting one's location even more than past iOS builds? (even with Backgroud App Refresh off) I notice Weather and Passbook (yes i use these apps so i need Location Services on all the time) are the big culprits in this. For Weather, i notice its always requesting my Location like every 5 minutes when I'm browsing through the phone. I rather have it refresh the weather whenever i go into the app or pull down the notification shade like before. Passbook seems to always refresh my location whenever i unlock the phone, it never was like this. Basically, I dont want this to go the "Android" route and constantly having apps run in the background (this and battery life are the reasons i left Android)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have you checked some items in the system services section of location services in the settings menu? There are new things there like frequent locations and other items that you can try turning off to see if that might improve things for you.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Have you checked some items in the system services section of location services in the settings menu? There are new things there like frequent locations and other items that you can try turning off to see if that might improve things for you.

yeah i checked those out and i have them all on except for iADs, cell search, and wi fi networking. Im intrigued with what Frequent Locations has to offer (Google Now) so i have that ON but it still doesnt show as frequently as Weather and Passbook (as soon as i see the location services icon i go into settings to see which app are responsible and its always Weather and Passbook) i know its Beta but this is the main reason i came back to iOS for being able to use the phone as a whole (not having to turn off any feature and enjoy the whole iOS experience) yet still be stable AND very battery friendly. Im sure Apple will fix it by the final release just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
yeah i checked those out and i have them all on except for iADs, cell search, and wi fi networking. Im intrigued with what Frequent Locations has to offer (Google Now) so i have that ON but it still doesnt show as frequently as Weather and Passbook (as soon as i see the location services icon i go into settings to see which app are responsible and its always Weather and Passbook) i know its Beta but this is the main reason i came back to iOS for being able to use the phone as a whole (not having to turn off any feature and enjoy the whole iOS experience) yet still be stable AND very battery friendly. Im sure Apple will fix it by the final release just wondering if anyone else noticed this.
I believe Passbook is something that commonly does this, even in iOS 6. As for Weather, it might be doing it even more now that weather information is part of the Today tab in the Notification Center (which might be related to Frequent Locations, along with Traffic as well I would think).

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
first thing to do is shut off the background weather updates, wifi networking and the frequent locations (dumbest thing ever)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Maybe that explains why my battery life was bad. I had too many location services on. I turn nearly all of it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.