Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I've just ordered an i5 2012 mini which I will upgrade with a 250GB OWC SSD in short order. I'm wondering though whether I'd be better to use a data doubler to keep the OEM 500GB in the mini or spend a little more on a matching 500GB 2.5" HDD and put the two of them in the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Mini to create a 1TB RAID 0 connected via FW800.

Would the latter option give better performance than the just keeping the OEM drive in the mini? I was thinking about doing a Fusion drive, but I replaced my 2008 iMac's HDD with a 120GB SSD so I've gotten accustomed to keeping a slimmed down system/application drive and keeping all my data on externals.

Upgrading to the mini will also let me use the Lacie Thunderbolt eSATA hub to max the performance on my eSATA ready externals...

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
If it were me, I would not use OWC's SSD. I would go with Samsung low power 840 or 840 Pro. Get the biggest you can, and then get a 1tb HDD and get the kit to install internally. Then setup a fusion drive.

I have a 2011 mini, it has a similar setup and I have been very happy with it for over a year, minus the fusion. The OWC Pro 6G was not stable and does not give you 500 r/w, not even close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.