Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Is there a plugin or application that will automatically upload photos from an iPhoto library to a Flickr (Pro, to get around the upload limits of the free accounts) account? I'd like to plug my camera into my computer, have it download the photos to my iPhoto library (which is already a two click affair) and then upload those photos to my Flickr account with somewhere between 0 and a few clicks, preferably in the background so you can look at the photos you just loaded onto your computer?

Also syncing tags and edited version of photos to the Flickr account would be good, as would a "recover" option to download photos from Flickr into iPhoto with tags. Having it automatically create photo streams that match albums in your local iPhoto library would be really cool, but none of that would be strictly required.

I'm interested in this primarily as an off-site backup system.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Is there a plugin or application that will automatically upload photos from an iPhoto library to a Flickr (Pro, to get around the upload limits of the free accounts) account? I'd like to plug my camera into my computer, have it download the photos to my iPhoto library (which is already a two click affair) and then upload those photos to my Flickr account with somewhere between 0 and a few clicks, preferably in the background so you can look at the photos you just loaded onto your computer?

Also syncing tags and edited version of photos to the Flickr account would be good, as would a "recover" option to download photos from Flickr into iPhoto with tags. Having it automatically create photo streams that match albums in your local iPhoto library would be really cool, but none of that would be strictly required.

I'm interested in this primarily as an off-site backup system.

Hmm, not sure if there's any software that will automatically upload, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard to set up to do using Automator or Applescript...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Duh, you were right. It was trivially simple once I searched for and found a Flickr upload Automator action. Between Automator, that action, and the way OSX handles digital cameras (the Image Capture application detects any connected camera and will launch whatever app you tell it to) it was extremely simple.

It doesn't do tag syncing, but it happens at the time of import so it's a good backup solution. If anyone wants the Automator script let me know. It basically works like this: plug in camera > get prompted to continue process > download pics from camera > import pics into iPhoto > delete downloaded pics (they're in your iPhoto library now) > upload the "last imported" smart album to Flickr account (tagged as "backup", set to private). You get Growl notices along the way, and the photos are in your trash bin at the end, in case something goes wrong you can still recover the pictures.

Thanks for the hint getting me going in the right direction!

amykhar

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
I would definitely be interested in this script. I've never played much with Automator. Guess it's time I learned. I backed up my iPhoto last night and reformatted my hard drive. I then restored my iPhoto directory, but a bunch of pictures were missing. I would rather never have that happen again. If everything were to go to flickr, I would have a good offsite backup of all my pictures.

Amy

wesleywilson

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Duh, you were right. It was trivially simple once I searched for and found a Flickr upload Automator action. Between Automator, that action, and the way OSX handles digital cameras (the Image Capture application detects any connected camera and will launch whatever app you tell it to) it was extremely simple.

It doesn't do tag syncing, but it happens at the time of import so it's a good backup solution. If anyone wants the Automator script let me know. It basically works like this: plug in camera > get prompted to continue process > download pics from camera > import pics into iPhoto > delete downloaded pics (they're in your iPhoto library now) > upload the "last imported" smart album to Flickr account (tagged as "backup", set to private). You get Growl notices along the way, and the photos are in your trash bin at the end, in case something goes wrong you can still recover the pictures.

Thanks for the hint getting me going in the right direction!

I'd be interested in this script as well. Thank you.

Wesley

zepr

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
wow

i would be badly interested in having this script too.
I would probably modify it to sync the last imported album every night at 2.00 pm, but it's cool to have a script to start with, since I'm quite new to Automator... Thanx :)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hope this an ok bump (not sure if its against site rules) but i've just discovered flickr, well i knew about it but didn't take it seriously.

I was thinking about using it as back up for my photo's and would be interested if anything had come of an auto sync with iPhoto '11.

Cheers

al85

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
1 TB storage now on flickr. Please someone help find a sync feature so i can back my photos up online. Ive been searching with no luck yet.

tlccreates

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
flickr is not for backup from iPhoto

Unfortunately, iPhoto is great for uploading to flickr but you can't use it as a backup because any photos deleted from iPhoto will then be automatically deleted from flickr.

If you did through your account info on flickr you will see that iPhoto has delete privileges that you can not turn off.

I have tried using a stand alone flickr uploader by dragging from iPhoto into the app but the same thing happens. The files are still linked to iPhoto so they were deleted from flickr when I deleted from iPhoto. Changing the name of the set on flickr did not protect the files.

The only workaround, and it is a painful process, is to drag photos from iPhoto to the desktop and then from the desktop to the stand alone flickr uploader. UGH!

I am not using the latest iPhoto version and would LOVE for someone to tell me that this has changed. I would update iPhoto in a blink if that were the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.