Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Right in the middle of uploading a bunch of files my Airport card just disappeared from the system. I have no idea why.

I didn't think anything got moved inside, put a took a snap shot just in case.

Rather oddly, though it now says there's no Airport installed, it says the Ethernet is connected, even though it isn't.

Any ideas on how to try and figure this out?

Thanks

I guess I should go ahead and run the Apple Hardware Test?

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
It seems your card may be toast.

Good news is that not only can you replace it for $20 or so, but you can get FASTER connections as a result.

There are "n" network cards from CHina on EBay for around $20 and they enable the newer frequencies.

If you look above your card you will see a 3rd antennae that has brass end in a clear plastic cover. The new cards use this as well as the other 2. More connections and more antennae = faster WiFi.

Rejoice at the failure !!!

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Ha ha, I'm not sure about "rejoice", but I think I might just replace it with an ethernet cable for now ($10!).

I ran the hardware test and it didn't even see that there was a card there. :(

Rather annoying, but not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things I guess....

----------

Though thanks for clearing up what that third wire is. I was wondering about that.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hey if wired Ethernet is an option, you should just be using that anyway. Faster, more reliable, and less cancers. ;)

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Hey if wired Ethernet is an option, you should just be using that anyway. Faster, more reliable, and less cancers. ;)

so that means OP can now start smoking ciggarettes and offset his chances! its like the airport card never failed! hooray!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you are going to replace the card, you might as well consider an 802.11AC card. Everything is moving to that right now.

I believe, but am not certain, that the Broadcom miniPCIe card is being included in the newer Macs as Apple switches to AC. AFAIK you'd be the first to try it in a Mac Pro though.

I might do this myself as I start getting 802.11AC devices. Although my MP is wired Ethernet, I use the WiFi card and inSSIDer software to monitor the wireless network.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Will I still be able to screen share/exchange files with my other Macs if I plug it in to my router via Ethernet?

lantree

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
It seems your card may be toast.

Good news is that not only can you replace it for $20 or so, but you can get FASTER connections as a result.

There are "n" network cards from CHina on EBay for around $20 and they enable the newer frequencies.

If you look above your card you will see a 3rd antennae that has brass end in a clear plastic cover. The new cards use this as well as the other 2. More connections and more antennae = faster WiFi.

Rejoice at the failure !!!

Just added on into my mac as it did not come with one installed, took me around 40 mins because i have nice big hands. Don't be put off though as changing / installing this as it's quite straight forwards. Dam you apple you all ways make things small and fiddly :)

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
What steps are needed for Link Aggregation (Ganging) on a MP? It can't be as simple as plugging in a second ethernet cable to the router can it?

Yup, that easy. I have the Cisco 300 Switches which work great. You need to configure the router to LA those ports, then do the same on the Mac side (in networking, hit the + key to set up a new LA from the two ethernet ports.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.