Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Ive just used iMovie to make a video from my GoPro Hero 3 Black camcorder, and uploaded it straight from iMovie to Youtube.

But youtube had downscaled the video quality from 1080P to 320, which looks really bad. What did I do wrong? Should I have just saved the movie to my MacBook and then uploaded it to youtube?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you did not edit it, directly uploading the file from the GoPro would be faster.

What settings did you use for the iMovie project or during the import and what settings did you use for the export?

You can make screenshots and attach them to your next post, if you are uncomfortable reciting those settings.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Ive just had a look at the iMovie export settings and noticed that exporting directly from iMovie to youtube restricts to a lower setting by default..

ScreenShot2013-02-09at233132_zps236f18cd.png

Ive since tried exporting to my Macbook hard drive (selecting the highest setting of 1080P) and then uploaded to youtube from there, and it worked. Its now on youtube in 1080P. But I suppose I could still have uploaded it direct from iMovie but selected the higher setting.

Guess i shouldn't have been in such a rush and allowed time to read what I was doing :eek:

Thanks buddy :)

GoogleSucks

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Western Montana
Ive just had a look at the iMovie export settings and noticed that exporting directly from iMovie to youtube restricts to a lower setting by default..

ScreenShot2013-02-09at233132_zps236f18cd.png

Ive since tried exporting to my Macbook hard drive (selecting the highest setting of 1080P) and then uploaded to youtube from there, and it worked. Its now on youtube in 1080P. But I suppose I could still have uploaded it direct from iMovie but selected the higher setting.

Guess i shouldn't have been in such a rush and allowed time to read what I was doing :eek:

Thanks buddy :)
It seems the highest it will let me export is 1080.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.