Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:51 AM   #26
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
My 560 was too, so I pulled the cooler and put a twin turbo two on it. The issue is it's now a 2.5 slot card but it runs much cooler and is inaudible.
So I just gave up the whole idea of watercooling and hackintoshes and all that stuff because all that costs me too much money.

Now I just want to get a GPU cooler because my GTX 570 is too loud on idle and gets too hot while gaming.
Can I put the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II onto the GTX 570 HD, and do I have a 4pin power connecter anywhere? (I don't have a second DVD drive but I installed a SSD in there...)

Thanks guys!
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:30 AM   #27
nightmars
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to nightmars
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
Name me some that are similar quality as the MP case?


A 2700k is still Sandy Bridge, a 3770k is Ivy -> whole new architecture -> whole new OCing performance.

Thermaltake TaiChi Case - 20kg of pure Aluminium ! :-)
__________________
Mac Mini i5 120 GB SSD+500 GB HDD 16GB RAM, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Air 16GB, TC 500GB, 2x AE, Synology DS 411slim 4x1TB
nightmars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:34 AM   #28
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmars View Post
Thermaltake TaiChi Case - 20kg of pure Aluminium ! :-)
Looks like a refrigerator with optional water-cooling...
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:50 AM   #29
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
So I just gave up the whole idea of watercooling and hackintoshes and all that stuff because all that costs me too much money.

Now I just want to get a GPU cooler because my GTX 570 is too loud on idle and gets too hot while gaming.
Can I put the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II onto the GTX 570 HD, and do I have a 4pin power connecter anywhere? (I don't have a second DVD drive but I installed a SSD in there...)

Thanks guys!
There should be a 4 pin to power the current fan. If its three pin then you'll have to use the 3 pin connector that is included in the fan setup.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:08 AM   #30
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
There should be a 4 pin to power the current fan. If its three pin then you'll have to use the 3 pin connector that is included in the fan setup.
When I installed the GTX 570 I just plugged in two 6pins into the MoBo, nothing else.

I thought about getting a velocity Solo X2 and installed both SSDs on it, that means that I dont need the ODD plu anymore. Would that help?
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:37 AM   #31
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
When I installed the GTX 570 I just plugged in two 6pins into the MoBo, nothing else.

I thought about getting a velocity Solo X2 and installed both SSDs on it, that means that I dont need the ODD plu anymore. Would that help?
the 4 pin is on the card itself most likely under the current fan shroud. here is one with a water block installed on the bottom right you can see a 4 pin header.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grafikkarte_gtx570.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	379399  
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:37 AM   #32
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
the 4 pin is on the card itself most likely under the current fan shroud. here is one with a water block installed on the bottom right you can see a 4 pin header.
Now I see Thanks man!
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:57 PM   #33
Badagri
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
So I just gave up the whole idea of watercooling and hackintoshes and all that stuff because all that costs me too much money.
Why not just do it in sections rather all out? cpu block, pump, hoses and a radiator for the cpu. Add more to your loop at a later date.

That is sexy!

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/sys...derbox-mk2.htm
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:33 AM   #34
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCaptain View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to mod a Mac Pro. You'll be fighting against too many things- proprietary parts everywhere that were never designed to be modded, let alone removed. The heatsinks in a modern day (2009/2010/2012) Mac Pro aren't standard LGA heatsinks- the mounting pins are totally custom and the heatsinks carry fans and thermal sensors inside them. If you don't hook that stuff back up, the system will probably refuse to boot.

-SC
This idea just crossed my mind: Take the original heatsink, throw the cooler with the heatpipes inside out, take a regular CPU water block, make a custom plate with screw holes to fit the original holes, then take the stuff around the heatsink and place it in top, connect the temp sensors and stuff - shouldn't that work? You could use just the frame of the heatsink with the cables.

In terms of a radiator you probably will need to look for something external. I also thought about modding the sidedoor and make it a few inches wider to fit a rad in there, and then open it like a door with some flexible tubing in the corner. Hell lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badagri View Post
Why not just do it in sections rather all out? cpu block, pump, hoses and a radiator for the cpu. Add more to your loop at a later date.

That is sexy!

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/sys...derbox-mk2.htm
In theory, I have the money to buy all that stuff. I'm just not sure whether I really want to spend such a hell lot of money.

I consider buying a Accelero Xtreme Plus II and just PCIe expansion fan that is completely silent, like a BeQuiet Silent Wing 2.
Can I change the fan inside the heatsink to get more airflow around the heatsink?
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC