Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeywrench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I have a black MacBook 2 1 and a new replacement battery. At first I had trouble getting the MacBook to power up with the new battery even after charging for a while. So I calibrated it following a video I found on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYIMDQxunI

What is happening now is the battery meter is stuck on 89%. I even installed Watts.
Watts for Mac - CNET Download.com
Watts shows the 89% charge as well. I followed the Watts instructions for calibrating and that didn't help.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
First of all, try an SMC reset (remove the battery & magsafe, hold the power button for 10 seconds) and try again.

If it's still the same it's probably a DOA battery.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a black MacBook 2 1 and a new replacement battery. At first I had trouble getting the MacBook to power up with the new battery even after charging for a while. So I calibrated it following a video I found on YouTube.
I haven't watched the video, but the proper procedure for calibration is in the CALIBRATION section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

monkeywrench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I followed the steps and the meter still reads 89%. Watts too. It read 89% during the whole calibration process. It says "Calculating Time Until Full" on the dropdown menu of the battery meter. It's been saying that ever since I first put the replacement battery in.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I followed the steps and the meter still reads 89%. Watts too. It read 89% during the whole calibration process. It says "Calculating Time Until Full" on the dropdown menu of the battery meter. It's been saying that ever since I first put the replacement battery in.
Is it showing 89% health or charge level?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

monkeywrench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
Thanks for the help. I got the MacBook free, so this isn't too big a deal. The knockoff battery does work pretty well, it just doesn't interface well with the battery meter.

Considering how much I saved on the battery...I'm not complaining.
:D

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement

I can vouch for this. Just picked up this late-2006 Macbook as my first Mac and had this same problem. The guy on Craigslist advertised "NEW battery". Me as a noob didn't even think aftermarket batteries would be a problem. I ran into issues with it not booting up unless it was on a charger and then it telling me the battery wasn't recognized.

As it turns out, the knock off batteries will "work". BUT the Apple batteries have internal chips to monitor health and diffuse overheating issues. These knock off batteries, for the most part, are crap. You can use knockoff parts for other internals but treat your battery in your computer like the battery in your car. Pay a little more for the real thing and you'll get optimal life and service.

I picked up an Apple battery the other night after trying resetting the PRAM and SMC. They would temp fix but not truly fix it.

Hope this advice helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.