Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2002
I dug this out the other day from the basement and thought it might be fun to share some of the contents with you folks. Forgive the blurry shots. :D

I can't quite recall where I picked this little guy up. But I imagine might be of interest to early 90's Apple aficionados and designers. Let me know what you think. Does anyone else have one of these or can tell me something about it?

Enjoy! :apple:

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Reactions: satchmo

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Dumb question, do they list Pantone equivalents for those colors?

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2002
I believe they do on the opposite side of the perforated samples. Do you want me to post them when I get home?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Nice to see the earlier version of these guides.

The company I worked for was supplied with one circa 2001 with the solid color Apple logos that were around at the time.

They are pretty strict about logo usage and product images too, like not combining images of products with and without desktop pictures and the spacing to adjacent text around the logo. Fascinating reading.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
wow that is pretty awesome to look at. Man, take it back to the good ol' days of the rainbow!

macfan74318

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Disk

What is on that disk? Is it a copy of the artwork? If so (not sure if this is allowed) could you please upload a copy of the files on the disk?

Thanks,
macfan74318

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
This is awesome, but what exactly is the point of it?

It's a guideline book for Graphic Designers/printers in how to use the Apple logo. They will still have them but it will be all online now.
All major companies have them, it's to try and stop people using the logo in the wrong way and harming the brand image.

The black and white Apple logo seem to be artwork for supplying to third parties or pasting on artwork boards (for you youngsters, before we had full DTP we actually used glue and stuck things to big boards for repro!) :D

Reactions: gardencitynick

Jjozen

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Just like that

Well, i've got exactly the same. I worked for apple in the 90's. It's a marketing guideline. You had to follow these rules if you want to advertise etc.

And yes, there are panthone colors attached to the logo. That's why it was so expensive. Every print had to go at least 6 times through the press, just for the logo.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
I dug this out the other day from the basement and thought it might be fun to share some of the contents with you folks. Forgive the blurry shots. :D

I can't quite recall where I picked this little guy up. But I imagine might be of interest to early 90's Apple aficionados and designers. Let me know what you think. Does anyone else have one of these or can tell me something about it?

Enjoy! :apple:

Is there any way you can share the contents of that CD with us? Maybe create a disk image and throw it in a dropbox shared folder?

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Thanks for that! I really just wanted an official high quality logo!

You got it, sir! Enjoy!

I was really, really hoping that for some reason Apple would have stuffed their version of Motter Tektura onto the CD. That's about as un-Apple as could be, but a man can dream!

----------

Hmm.... didn't eWorld have a special Apple-created TrueType font made specifically for eWorld? I no longer remember what the font was called.

If I remember correctly, they used Espy Sans in the Newton and in eWorld. eWorld also used a variation of Helvetica Ultra Compressed for titles.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Apple's "version" of Motter Tektura exists in the pen and wax era.

That stuff was all drawn, or pasted up from something else.

I spent several months looking for as many examples of letter usage .. to get a complete set of examples, so I could re-create the font electronically, using the existing typeface as the reference.

I'm somewhat convinced that they went to the Garamond based typeface because they were faced with .. "we need a computer version of this, might as well 'update' it."

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2002
It sure does.

I'll say one thing, this forum is one of the most pleasant places to hang out...and unlike the rest of the forums, the trolls haven't found it yet. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.