Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:06 PM   #26
bniu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulos View Post
personally, i wouldn't miss the terrible 'cursor drift' either.
I lost so much work from that stupid trackpoint trackpad that would pick up false gestures and navigate backwards for no apparent reason and that cursor drift was always at an inopportune time. Good riddance to it! Apple has managed to solve the trackpad problem and actually made the trackpad more useful than the mouse! Pinch to zoom, two finger rotate, all so effortless. So effortless that I don't even click, I just double tap and hold, it's so easy, can't believe a trackpad can be this easy to use!
bniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:21 PM   #27
ThomasBoss
Banned

When I had a Thinkpad the only thing I would use is the Trackpoint and I loved it. Afterwards when I went to an Acer Extensa I didn't mind the trackpad...I liked how on the right side you could slide down to scroll, but it was no where near as good as it is on my current MacBook Pro..the trackpoint is nice, but after using this I do not miss it at all
ThomasBoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:28 PM   #28
SeaneyC
macrumors member

X201 Owner here!

Whilst I used to use the trackpoint a lot on my older IBM machines (T30 and T41) once I bought my first gen Air a couple or years ago I really fell in love with the touchpad, and when I ditched it to get the X201 (needed the power) I found myself not using the trackpoint much, as even the gesture support on the miniscule X201 trackpad is OK. Not a patch on Apple trackpads, but bearable for me.

When the new Airs come out, I will be jumping ship from the X201 back to Apple, but if the keyboard is anything to go by on my work colleagues 11" Air, I am sure as hell going to miss the keyboard on my Lenovo, but the trackpoint, not at all, not with all of the gestures Apple throw in. As others have noted if you're a fingers on keyboard 24/7 type person you'll probably notice it's gone for a bit, but for me the benefits hugely outweigh the cons.

As a side note I actually prefer the older trackpads with the seperate button as opposed to "clicking" the pad itself, but i'll live....
SeaneyC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:19 PM   #29
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulos View Post
one thing i love about Chrome, is that the address bar is also the search bar. this is so simple, but after you see it and use it, it seems idiotic to do it any other way. (Why doesn't Safari do this yet?! ... Apple is upset they didn't think of it first.)
The problem I keep running into is that stuff like Chrome and IE9 hate corporate networks or really anywhere you have one-word machine names. If I type "mygreatserver" into Safari, it takes me to "http://mygreatserver/". On IE9 and Chrome, it takes me to the search engine and searches for "mygreatserver" instead. It's not a deal breaker, but it is annoying in practice.

I will say this about Apple's trackpads though... I'm actually buying one for my desktop because I miss the trackpad gestures when using 10.7 on the desktop. It's actually slower to use the mouse for some things now (having to click to bring things up and mouse around rather than just gesturing).
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:37 AM   #30
nebulos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Do you use the middle button to scroll? One finger on the track point and one finger pressing the middle button = effortless scrolling no matter where the cursor is on the screen.
... i started using this. i wouldn't call it effortless, for me, because you still have to smush down on the trackpoint, which can be awkward. (it's possible my trackpoint is unusually tough?)

however, one thing i like is that you can click the middle button, then set an automatic scroll with the trackpoint. you can't do this on a mac, afaik.

what did you end up doing? did you try out the mac trackpad?
nebulos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:45 AM   #31
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Any feedback from former Thinkpad owners?
Most trackpad implementations I've used really svcked.

When I went to a Macbook Pro 13 last year (2010 model) I had reservations about losing the trackpoint.

Apple pleasantly surprised me -- with gestures (like two-finger scroll) and general accuracy, I find using a Macbook trackpad really effortless.

In a nutshell, I don't miss the trackpoint at all.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:53 AM   #32
ZBoater
macrumors 603

As I type this post I have my Lenovo Thinkpad X61s right next to me (work laptop). I was a eraser head freak. Always avoided PC laptops without it.

I can tell you the Air will grow on you and you will wonder what you did without it. The gestures make scrolling a breeze. It sure is different, and may take you a few minutes/hours/days to get used to it, but it certainly has its advantages. I find I have much more control and work more effortlessly on my Air than my Thinkpad.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:31 PM   #33
RobQuads
macrumors regular

I've just gone for my first Macbook and half always been using my work Thinkpad's prior to this. Over 10 years of track point use that I really enjoyed. I have never got on with any PC trackpad at all. Hate the ones on the thinkpad but loved the track point, specially with the middle button scroll.

I have to say the air trackpad is by far the best I have used..that said I still miss my trackpoint. I would rather still have it as an option.

Hopefully over time I will forget missing the track point
RobQuads is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:10 PM   #34
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

As far as PC laptops go the only laptop mouse device that I like (or can even stand to use) is the Thinkpad Trackpoint. That said I absolutely love Apple's newer trackpads. Once you get used to the two finger scrolling and gestures it makes even the Trackpoint feel clunky.

The only exception really is when doing work that requires lots of very precise clicking and dragging, like Photoshop or UI designers. Having a mouse to plug in for heavy work like that might be a good idea if that's what you'll be doing.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:23 PM   #35
billh
macrumors newbie

Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint USB Keyboard 55Y9003 works GREAT with MacBooks. Really!

Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint USB Keyboard 55Y9003 works GREAT with MacBooks. Really!

The MacBook's built-in Trackpad is wonderful. Howerver, the red Trackpoint eraser head stick that IBM innovated into the Thinkpad Laptop Notebook computers in the 1990's is in some cases quicker and more accurate to use.

To my surprise, the USB External Thinkpad Trackpoint Keyboard (55y9003) works very well with MacBooks. I connected it one day and it started working. I've used it with MacBook Pros, Retinas and Airs for the last three years.

And, it fits over/on top of the MacBook keyboard as though it was made for a MacBook. Crazy good fit.

This particular model (55Y9003) of the Lenovo USB Trackpoint Keyboard is VERY thin, very light, sits nicely on top of the MacBook keyboard (all models) or in front, and it fits easily into almost any Laptop case/backpack because it's so light, thin and small…and btw: relatively Cheap (apprx. $50 U.S.).

I love my MacBook Pro built-in Trackpad. And I have found that my Trackpoint (The red eraser head stick thing) to be simply faster in some cases because you don't have to take your hand(s) off the keyboard to mouse around. It's even more accurate than a Trackpad for certain use cases, because you can click independantly of moving the mouse, which is a big benefit for graphics, drawing and other mouse-intensive activities.

Both the Apple Trackpad and the Thinkpad Trackpoint have their sweet spot use cases.

Here's when I use each...my main use cases:
- If I use my MacBook for <1hr I tend to just use the built-in Trackpad
- If I use my Macbook for an extended period, I pull out the Trackpoint Keyboard. It's just faster to use and easier on my hands.

If you keep an open mind and actually use the Trackpoint built into the external USB keyboard for 2-3 days, you may find that it is much faster than taking your hand(s) off the keyboard to use a Mouse or Trackpad. It's just that simple, and truly compelling..

Here are some pictures of the Trackpoint Keyboard sitting on top of my Retina MacBook Keyboard. It looks ridiculous on first glance...but it is also extremely useful. It fits perfectly over the MacBook keyboard and works great:
http://soapower.com/Pics/ThinkPadTra...nMacBook-1.JPG
http://soapower.com/Pics/ThinkPadTra...nMacBook-2.JPG

I hope this helps. :-)

Last edited by billh; Jan 9, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
billh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:37 PM   #36
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a

The entire time I had my thinkpad (several years) I tried to use that damn trackpoint. I could never understand how anyone would prefer it over the trackpad (and the thinkpad trackpad on the R60 I had was pretty lame).

Probably it is just what you are used to. But the macbook pro trackpad with gestures is 1 million times better IMHO.

I DO miss the thinkpad keyboard however. Mine was a bit loud but it felt wonderful!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air