Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Does anyone else think the Apple Superdrive is dog slow? I got one for my 2012 iMac and have been ripping DVD's and CD's and it takes double the time than it takes with my external USB Blu-Ray burner. I know the Apple Superdrive isn't the greatest external drive in the world but come on.... it's like Apple is using the cheapest and slowest drive they can find and place it in a pretty box.

Yes, I could use my external Blu-Ray player all the time but I like to use that for playing Blu-Rays rather than the daily wear and tear of ripping CD's.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I just purchased one and found it to be very slow and quiet ripping certain cd's. others it is really fast and sounds like a plane on the runway ready for take off!

Very strange!!

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
.... it's like Apple is using the cheapest and slowest drive they can find and place it in a pretty box.

It's like you didn't know that! :)
Seriously, Apple is not looking for slowest. It looks for cheapest, and that just happens to be the slowest one.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
All cd/dvd drives are painfully slow. They should be banned from all use as far as I'm concerned. Seriously, in today's high speed world of computers, there has to be a better way, right?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
All cd/dvd drives are painfully slow. They should be banned from all use as far as I'm concerned. Seriously, in today's high speed world of computers, there has to be a better way, right?

Actually, the Apple SuperDrive is infamous for being incredibly slow ripping DVDs (google Bitlocker).

I highly recommend an external DVD drive for ~$25-30 which will solve that problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.