Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi,

I currently work in banking, in the area of accounting & finance. I dream of a career switch to software development and I am contemplating going back to graduate school to study computer science (Msc conversion course from a university in the UK).

I am 40 year old and I acknowledge my chances of switching career are slim, but I no longer have the motivation to work for my present employer. At worst, if I am not able to switch, I will pick up a lower-paid, 9-to-5 job in accounting or that will not drain my energy, so that I can spend more time with my family.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and take my chances? Suck it up and continue my boring and useless job?

Thanks for your advice or sharing your own experiences.

Caezar

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I don't have much to add other than I'm going to be in the same situation you are in about 5 years or less, but I don't have a "dream job". :eek:

I say if you have enough saved up and if you have a dream job, go for it.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Do it.

As you said, the worst-case scenario is that you pick up a lower maintenance job in accounting to spend more time with your family.

Actually, if you do go to grad school and can't get a job in strict software development... your worst-case scenario would be to try to integrate your experience in accounting/finance with your new expertise in CompSci. Computational/programming expertise is highly sought after in the finance field (think along the lines of algorithms), so you could actually parlay your new expertise into other (possibly more) exciting areas within the sphere of accounting/finance.

There's really not a hugely compelling reason (other than perhaps economic or family hardship) that I can think of for you to not go through with the CompSci degree. There are in my opinion, many more compelling reasons why you should..

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
The only advice I can give is this, I had a very dear friend who died a few years ago. I was visiting him in the hospital and one evening he turned to me and said, that he had always wanted to be an artist. He never followed his dream, he said that was what he regretted most about his whole life. He died the next day, I have never forgotten this.

You only get one life, live it to the full.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The only advice I can give is this, I had a very dear friend who died a few years ago. I was visiting him in the hospital and one evening he turned to me and said, that he had always wanted to be an artist. He never followed his dream, he said that was what he regretted most about his whole life. He died the next day, I have never forgotten this.

You only get one life, live it to the full.

I'm with the bunny on this one.

Do it. 40 isn't too old.

Absolutely agree.

It is never too late to follow your dream, and seek personal and professional fulfilment, and earlier experiences are not wasted.

EvenStranger

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
Unless you just can't take the job any longer, there's no reason you can't do both. There are a number of online tutorials to get started programming. Consider starting with iOS programming, getting an app or two going as learning projects and move on from there. A good app may even generate some revenue for you if accepted to the iTunes app store. If nothing else, you'll learn quickly whether or not programing is something you really want to pursue. In addition, I would imagine most companies hiring programmers would prefer someone who has actually done some programming versus someone with a degree but little real world experience. Wishing you all the best in your endeavors!

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Unless you just can't take the job any longer, there's no reason you can't do both. There are a number of online tutorials to get started programming. Consider starting with iOS programming, getting an app or two going as learning projects and move on from there. A good app may even generate some revenue for you if accepted to the iTunes app store. If nothing else, you'll learn quickly whether or not programing is something you really want to pursue. In addition, I would imagine most companies hiring programmers would prefer someone who has actually done some programming versus someone with a degree but little real world experience. Wishing you all the best in your endeavors!

It really depends if he is interested in computer science or just programming. If it is the former this would be about like telling someone who is interested in electrical engineering to go get a breadboard and learn it through some circuit tutorials.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Thanks a lot for your thoughtful advice.

I thought about keeping my job and studying on my spare time, but this would mean I would not have enough time for my family. Also, I am really slacking off at work and I feel bad about it. I already proposed my manager to quit last year, as I knew I could no longer rekindle my motivation, but he asked me to stay at least for one year.

I really wish I cared about my work. For that, I do not see any solution other than doing something entirely new.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I know one should always follow their dream. That's always the 'correct' advice.

However, I would advise some caution if you have a family. I'm self employed in an industry that is somewhat comparable and have on a few occasions met a few people who tried this. It wasn't often the dream they had imagined.

If you have enough money to support your family and / or you have a partner who can support you both then fantastic - go for it...

However, if that isn't the case (all the following assumes you have to earn money and you have financial dependents) then things can become very stressful. Bear in mind that realistically at 40 + you might well have work in a self employed capacity after your course.

If it was me I would try and do it all part time - if you are going to make a success of this you're going to have work your butt off anyway. Keep all your options open. (Even with your current employer). The people I've known who've managed this sort of change have pretty much done the work of two people for several years. (The ones for whom it didn't work wanted to just glibly swop an existing 9-5 for different 'more fulfilling/more creative' 9-5). Even following the course opportunities won't come as easily and you'll have to work harder to get the same breaks a 20 year old would get.

My partner recently changed careers and we both massively underestimated how much extra pressure it put us all under. It worked well in the end but be prepared for any slight cracks in things to widen under the pressure. If you worry about family time now it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I know one should always follow their dream. That's always the 'correct' advice.

However, I would advise some caution if you have a family. I'm self employed in an industry that is somewhat comparable and have on a few occasions met a few people who tried this. It wasn't often the dream they had imagined.

If you have enough money to support your family and / or you have a partner who can support you both then fantastic - go for it...

However, if that isn't the case (all the following assumes you have to earn money and you have financial dependents) then things can become very stressful. Bear in mind that realistically at 40 + you might well have work in a self employed capacity after your course.

If it was me I would try and do it all part time - if you are going to make a success of this you're going to have work your butt off anyway. Keep all your options open. (Even with your current employer). The people I've known who've managed this sort of change have pretty much done the work of two people for several years. (The ones for whom it didn't work wanted to just glibly swop an existing 9-5 for different 'more fulfilling/more creative' 9-5). Even following the course opportunities won't come as easily and you'll have to work harder to get the same breaks a 20 year old would get.

My partner recently changed careers and we both massively underestimated how much extra pressure it put us all under. It worked well in the end but be prepared for any slight cracks in things to widen under the pressure. If you worry about family time now it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Couldn't have said it better, this is no longer just about you now, you have others that are dependent on you and the income and medical insurance (if applicable) you are bringing home.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but there is a lot more you need to look at.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Life is short and you may only get to do it once, depending on if you are religious or not. I'd make the most of it by doing what you really want to do.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
I have a friend in my Physical Therapy program that is 57. He needed a change and went for it. Might as well be happy for the few working years he has left.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I am 38 and I would not do a career switch, what I am doing is adding to my actual career like taking a marketing or management program.

I would love to take graphic design or physiology but too late or not now. If I had $200K as a cushion I would.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Go buy a Corvette, go to vegas, get drunk, marry a hooker, divorce your wife, start a business, become a millionaire.

Yes, in that order.

Mid-Life Crisis adverted.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
You still have at least 25 years of working life. Which is probably much longer than how many years you've currently been on. Your not even at the half way point. Don't let a job suck the life out of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.