Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashley0609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hello all,

I was just wandering if I could remove my MBP '09 optical drive? Or would I have to put something in it's place?

Cheers

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Hello all,

I was just wandering if I could remove my MBP '09 optical drive? Or would I have to put something in it's place?

Cheers

Of cause you can remove the optical drive. In fact, you can remove the motherboard too but you never state why you would want to remove the optical drive.

Ashley0609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Planning on having it in an enclosure for my Mac Mini and GFs MBA. Then swapping out the HDD for a small SSD to give me a (negligibly) lighter laptop for just word processing bits. So is it OK to just leave a gap where the optical drive should be?

Last edited:

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Planning on having it in an enclosure for my Mac Mini and GFs MBA. Then swapping out the HDD for a small SSD to give me a (negligibly) lighter laptop for just word processing bits. So is it OK to just leave a gap where the optical drive should be?

You won't feel much difference. I have a dual drive setup and when i remove the optical drive, it isn't that heavy. I think it should be alright to leave the gap.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Yes you can. I did this on 2 Macbooks that I use as media players and didn't need the DVD drives. The empty space doesn't affect anything. Just be prepared to remove the bottom if someone slides a DVD in there without knowing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.