Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
I got the same CPU - but a 3TB fusion - which I first thought might be making the noise / fan noise, but now I'm unsure if its the CPU running. It's a constant fan noise when I power the computer on - haven't even installed any applications yet.

The harddrive is a Seagate btw.

Juste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Dd someone mail apple about it ?

I called apple support, and they are replacing the iMac. Never the less, I have not yet reportet any information regarding the c3 issue.

----------

I got the same CPU - but a 3TB fusion - which I first thought might be making the noise / fan noise, but now I'm unsure if its the CPU running. It's a constant fan noise when I power the computer on - haven't even installed any applications yet.
The harddrive is a Seagate btw.

Is the noise similar to the one I posted or more like a general low pitch fan noise?

----------

There are ways to keep the CPU not idle, but it ups the CPU temperature. Something like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/461317?start=0&tstart=0

Yep, C3 state whine. Yuck.

I'll also say that the reason you may not be seeing too many complaints about this issue is that a lot of people either don't notice it, or have too much other noise in their iMac's vicinity (cars, fans, music etc) which drowns the noise out.

In addition, your replacement will likely (not necessarily definitely - but likely) have the same issue. You'll then have to decide if you can live with it or not... I haven't had a chance to play with my new iMac yet, as I had to leave on a trip, and won't be back till next week. I'll notice immediately if mine exhibits this issue.

I sure don't hope the next one has the same issue - then it would be no iMac for me! :)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
You want to hear the new imac make an unpleasant sound? Run a hardware or memory test and listen the the rear fan at full speed. That's loud.

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
No - mine sounds more like one of those external harddrives that is loud when connected. But I'm not 100% sure if it's the hardrive or the CPU. But really annoying :-(

Aug 26, 2008
This sucks. I was looking to get one of the new iMacs, but it seems like, yet again, they have really bad flaws. Why does EVERY desktop Apple makes have some deal breaker issue? I find it exasperating.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
When is it making this loud noise?

I haven't heard anything on mine at all, but so far only browsed the net and ran iTunes. I did transfer a big chunk of music from an external and have ran a few apps. I'm scared to go and look for to see if there is abnormal sound but maybe I should. It has passed all the other tests so far display/scuffs etc..

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
This sucks. I was looking to get one of the new iMacs, but it seems like, yet again, they have really bad flaws. Why does EVERY desktop Apple makes have some deal breaker issue? I find it exasperating.

Because when you buy normal pc's they make so much noise that you do not get to hear those small issues. People usually when buying an iMac are expecting a lot more from it than from a normal PC and identify every little issue. For the money I would do the same :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.