Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taluh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia!
I'm a beginner wanting to create 3d characters (mostly female models).
I'm a fast learner so it doesn't have to be too basic (as I would of course like to create as professional looking as possible characters) but something that's quite user friendly.
A program that offers customisable templates would be a great start for me.
Thank you :)

Last edited:

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
Blender is nice..

good luck with your "mostly female models"

huge fetish for 3d females I hear.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Blender is the best free full package option you're going to find, though if you want to just do modeling I'd look at Wings3D which is surprisingly capable for the price.

There's also Sculptris which is a sculpting program rather than a true modeling program, but it might be useful for what you're looking to do.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm a beginner wanting to create 3d characters (mostly female models).
I'm a fast learner so it doesn't have to be too basic (as I would of course like to create as professional looking as possible characters) but something that's quite user friendly.
A program that offers customisable templates would be a great start for me.
Thank you :)

+1 for Blender.

That being said 3D and user friendly never go in the same sentence. You'll have to work at it to get good at it but its absolutely worth it.

Blender over the past two years has seen an explosion of training materials for it. There are tons on Youtube.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Slightly OT, but I tried Blender (as a complete 3D noob) and wasn't getting anywhere with it, just getting frustrated. I bought Cheetah 3D off the app store instead, and just found it a lot more intuitive and Mac-like; and was making (IMO) quite complex models within a week.

Now that I'm a bit more familiar with 3D terminology and methods, I'll give Blender a go again as it seems to be a more powerful and wider-used package (thus better community support etc.)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Slightly OT, but I tried Blender (as a complete 3D noob) and wasn't getting anywhere with it, just getting frustrated. I bought Cheetah 3D off the app store instead, and just found it a lot more intuitive and Mac-like; and was making (IMO) quite complex models within a week.

Now that I'm a bit more familiar with 3D terminology and methods, I'll give Blender a go again as it seems to be a more powerful and wider-used package (thus better community support etc.)

I'm very much not a 3d noob and I still find Blender hard to get around in. I've only dabbled in it a few times, but it just isn't set up like most apps are.

Chances are it can do a lot more than your current package is able to, however.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
+1 for Blender

I came from a Maya seat to Blender about 5 or 6 years ago. Blender has grown significantly in that time. It is a great modeling tool, motion tracking, game engine, ect.

The best thing is the amount of tutorials. HUGE, FREE library of online tutorials, some good, some bad. Start at the blender site and read the forums, they will point you in the right direction for good tutorials, plus they create many themselves for a small fee you can get a disk shipped and save you HOURS of trial and error.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I agree with the others that Blender is unintuitive and messy but since the OP's price point is free thats why I recommended it.

That being said once you learn it you can work fast in it, I've seen many people do a lot of amazing things with Blender but it will take some time to get comfortable with it.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Can Blender models be exported to other CAD programs, or to a 3D printer?

I (thought) I heard someone mention this in casual conversation - but I've never seen it implemented.

Renzatic

Suspended
Can Blender models be exported to other CAD programs, or to a 3D printer?

I (thought) I heard someone mention this in casual conversation - but I've never seen it implemented.

From what I understand of the subject, I've been lead to believe that CAD and subdivision modellers don't get along well together. Generally the export works one way, from your CAD program to Blender/Max/Modo/Maya/etc. for rendering.

Blender can export its models to other subdiv modellers, though. Just about everything supports Collada these days, which makes jumping between programs a cinch.

And 3D printing? It's supported natively as of the last release. Dunno how good it is, but it's there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.