Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. Put in a full packet, run a cycle on hot, then do a load and see if that gets rid of it. If not, put in another packet and try again.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

susierosietoes

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
Resurrecting this thing because I've been totally bummed over about 5 of my husband's shirts, two pairs of my favorite (and fairly expensive) workout pants and 2 awesome (and fairly expensive) jackets that I ONCE left in my front-loading HE washer for too long. Each of these pieces of clothing got that funky stank that won't come out, no matter what I do.

I can wash clothes in the washer now without them acquiring the stinkiness, so that problem is solved. But these 9-10 pieces WILL NOT GET CLEAN, no matter what I try. I've washed them with vinegar. I've added Arm & Hammer booster. I've added Clorox booster. I've tried Oxyclean. I've tried Borax. I've tried more detergent, extra rinsing, less detergent...all to no avail. I've cleaned the washer and since no other clothes are acquiring the scent, I figure it's embedded in the fabric of these 9-10 pieces.

I never dry these clothes in the dryer—I'm afraid of "locking in" the smell. They always hang dry and sometimes a couple of them has seemed clean...but as soon as we wear them, five minutes in, that scent is back.

At this point, most of the clothes stay in the laundry room. I don't even bother to put them in the closet, for fear of sending my husband to work with a stinky shirt. So I keep re-washing them and trying new techniques, but so far, nothing's working.

Am I doomed to throw these pieces away? I keep trying to get them clean- replacing them means spending over $350. Argh!!!

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
Resurrecting this thing because I've been totally bummed over about 5 of my husband's shirts, two pairs of my favorite (and fairly expensive) workout pants and 2 awesome (and fairly expensive) jackets that I ONCE left in my front-loading HE washer for too long. Each of these pieces of clothing got that funky stank that won't come out, no matter what I do.

I can wash clothes in the washer now without them acquiring the stinkiness, so that problem is solved. But these 9-10 pieces WILL NOT GET CLEAN, no matter what I try. I've washed them with vinegar. I've added Arm & Hammer booster. I've added Clorox booster. I've tried Oxyclean. I've tried Borax. I've tried more detergent, extra rinsing, less detergent...all to no avail. I've cleaned the washer and since no other clothes are acquiring the scent, I figure it's embedded in the fabric of these 9-10 pieces.

I never dry these clothes in the dryer—I'm afraid of "locking in" the smell. They always hang dry and sometimes a couple of them has seemed clean...but as soon as we wear them, five minutes in, that scent is back.

At this point, most of the clothes stay in the laundry room. I don't even bother to put them in the closet, for fear of sending my husband to work with a stinky shirt. So I keep re-washing them and trying new techniques, but so far, nothing's working.

Am I doomed to throw these pieces away? I keep trying to get them clean- replacing them means spending over $350. Argh!!!

You may want to leave them in the sun for an afternoon or two. One of my trash cans developed a very nasty smell one week (spoiled chicken). I put the trash can in the back yard and let the sun's UV take care of most of the smell. Before you get rid of those clothes give that a try.

Since I also had a relatively new washing machine fry it's circuit board two months ago (a non HE top loader) I was in the market for a new machine. I did some research and ended up buying a Maytag Bravos top loader HE washer. So far I am pretty happy with the machine, I was always in the habit of keeping the lid open after a load so I never had the mildew problem associated with the front loaders. One thing I have noticed is that there is definitely water somewhere below the level of the tub in the machine when it if finished with a wash cycle. I am not sure if that is going to become a problem later during the machines life. I guess I'll resurrect this thread again if it becomes a problem.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
My clothes come out fine (though sometimes you can notice the smell if left for a long period of time). But also, using liquid fabric softener completely masks any smell coming out of the washer when I use that.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
The "problem" with front loading washers is that the water never completely drains out and you end up with mold/mildew inside the machine which then gets into the clothes when you wash them.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but front loading washers do require regular maintenance that regular washers may not. You're supposed to drain them and clean out the filter/trap every 6 months or so. It's also a good idea to leave the front door open when you're done washing to let it air out.

I would suggest the following:
1. Find your user manual and follow the steps to drain and clean the trap/filter in your washer.
2. Do the whole bleach/hot water run with nothing in the machine to clean it out.
3. Do a test wash with a big fluffy towel to see if it smells when you're done.
4. After washing, leave the door open until the next time you wash (or if it's in the way, leave it open for an hour or two or overnight).

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
My girlfriend's dryer is really weak, so my clothes come out slight wet sometimes, and after it dries it stanksss. :eek:

Shannmyst

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
Look, I'm a big guy - but do cut me some credit here.

I got a front-loading washer almost a year ago - and ever since, my clothes have not smelled clean. After coming out of the wash, they smell like -- like a beach towel left in a plastic bag for 2 days. After the dryer, you can hardly detect it (thank you, dryer sheets).

But here is the catch, after wearing these clothes - once you perspire ANY bit - the smell comes back!!!

I've tried multiple detergents, and yes I'm using the HE detergents my machine says to use.

I tried bleaching / running hot water through it - and this still didn't stop it.

I'm now leaving the door open after washing, and I kick it almost every night in the dark - but I was told this would stop mold from growing - and that was the problem I had...

So - no dice yet. It's not my town water (old washer was fine), and i even tried putting a water filter on it. (you know, to improve the taste of water for drinking) Didn't work.

I also tried checking the drain catch-basin after reading that some HE washers empty water faster - causing the catch-basin to empty completely - allowing sewer gasses back into the washer. A this isn't the smell I speak of, and B - it turned out not to be the problem in my case.

Can anyone help me here? I'm sick of smelling bad, and can't stand "masking" the smell via cologne / scents. I just want to be clean.

Help!
[doublepost=1509211299][/doublepost]I had the same problem with my front loader, i have a new washer now, but before that i would buy a bag of pool shock and put 1\4 cup in the drum and run the regular cycle on hot water. Do that once every couple weeks and still leave he door open.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
this is an old post but the OP had mentioned a thing peeps over look:
new washing machines in an older house often pumps water out faster than the old household plumbing can drain. With care, do a quick snake into the old pipe to remove corrosion grime.
or
verify the drain hose, the portion inside the pipe is short as possible, dosnt extend way down into the plumbing
-either way the bad here is the water siphoning back into the washing machine from the household plumbing.

all good but pool shock is strong / expensive.
mix up a spray bottle of cool tap water & house hold bleach and spray every day for a few and than after every use. You dont need as much bleach as you think, like one part bleach to 30 parts water. Verify the washing machine is mostly level on the floor.
-you should use COOL water as bleach evaporates quick with hot water

My girlfriend's dryer is really weak, so my clothes come out slight wet sometimes
Verify the lint filter. Try NOT using the auto moisture detect and used the standard timed dry. The moisture detector over time gives a false done signal.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Personally, i wouldn't really know. I don't make a habit of smelling my own clothes after washing them.

But no,,, no smell. I'm not gonna smell them all the time

P. Collins

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2018
New york
Kinda funny this thread is still going on....

The only viable solution I have found is to leave the door to the washing machine open (to air it out) for at least half a day after doing a load. This has solved the problem for me.
I have a top loading HE washer. My cloths have a strange order to. Especially in my sweaters and blankets. I leave the lid open. I have done cleaning cycles. I put it on soak first. I can't wait until it breaks. Then I will get a regular washer. My luck it won't!!

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
So as the title says, my washing machine has been leaving our clothes smelling like old gym socks after the wash cycle. I already leave the lid open when it's not in use. I've tried those expensive washing machine cleaners, I've used the extra rinse cycle, less detergent, I've tried different water temperatures. Nothing seems to work. I'm truly at a loss as to how to get rid of this. It's getting to the point I'm embarrassed by the smell on the laundry. I have noticed that when I wash white clothes and use bleach that the white clothes don't have the funky smell on them.

I saw an article online that suggeted using vinegar. It said to add it to the same location you'd add the liquid bleach. My question is how much vinegar should I use? Should I also add fabric softener to the cycle?

The machine is a top loading LG washer.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
As for me, I keep my clothes washer (a Whirlpool top-loading agitator-less unit) clean by leaving the top open for about four to five hours after running the washer. No smell from my clothes so far! :)

Reactions: 0388631

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I’ve never seen a top loading washing machine in my life! I’m guessing they’re pretty common in the states? Or at least used to be..?

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
I’ve never seen a top loading washing machine in my life! I’m guessing they’re pretty common in the states? Or at least used to be..?

They used to be almost exclusively top loaders. Growing up I'd only see the occasional front-loading Speed Queen in a laundromat. Maybe for tourists to use?

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
They used to be almost exclusively top loaders. Growing up I'd only see the occasional front-loading Speed Queen in a laundromat. Maybe for tourists to use?

Actually I do believe I've seen a top-loader on The Middle! I like the idea of a top-loader, why do they use more water?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Actually I do believe I've seen a top-loader on The Middle! I like the idea of a top-loader, why do they use more water?

They used to a lot more water but they are more efficient now. We have a new generation top load washer and it is great! No stink like from our front loader. And it is huge!! We can was like double the size loads.
[doublepost=1518976294][/doublepost]I see this is an old post but just in case anyone needs laundry help...we use a great detergent call Rockin Green. They have regular detergent and also an additive to remove funk in clothes.... I have been very happy with how our clothes smell (no overly perfumy scent) fresh with our top load and detergent.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
top loader; Use more water and somewhat harsh on your cloths. I dont know why they use more water but water is expensive in Denver. I tend to install repair things my self so there are more parts and youtube vids out there for the top loaders. I usually buy rebuilt appliances and of whats re built the top loaders are the best quality compared to the early gen front loaders that are being rebuilt.

front loader; They use less water, easier on you cloths too. if you stack them the dryer is way on top; difficult to reach or read the dryer display and the one on the bottom is difficult to reach too. If one of the pair washer or dryer goes bad you might difficulty finding a mate to the pair. early gen front loaders had issues prone to leaks and odor.

A spray bottle of bleach after you empty the machine is your best bet to eliminate the odor but its a dry climate here so little chance the washing machine will pic up an odor.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Our new (2 years old) Kenmore front loader only uses sufficient water on the "Bulky" setting. We also select soil level at least one level higher than normal and found our clothes are well washed with no residual smell. The normal level didn't even have water showing in the tub when we used it probably contributing to the lack of sufficient washing.
As to smell buildup in the washer, just leave the door cracked open, along with the detergent drawer. That will provide sufficient drying to preclude any odor buildup. No beaching required.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
top loader; Use more water and somewhat harsh on your cloths. I dont know why they use more water but water is expensive in Denver. I tend to install repair things my self so there are more parts and youtube vids out there for the top loaders. I usually buy rebuilt appliances and of whats re built the top loaders are the best quality compared to the early gen front loaders that are being rebuilt.

front loader; They use less water, easier on you cloths too. if you stack them the dryer is way on top; difficult to reach or read the dryer display and the one on the bottom is difficult to reach too. If one of the pair washer or dryer goes bad you might difficulty finding a mate to the pair. early gen front loaders had issues prone to leaks and odor.

A spray bottle of bleach after you empty the machine is your best bet to eliminate the odor but its a dry climate here so little chance the washing machine will pic up an odor.

Top loaders aren’t harder on your clothes anymore if you get the ones with an impeller. Agitators are harsh on clothes...impellers are not. The new machines have impellers and the move the clothes up and down so they don’t have to use as much water as a machine with an agitator.

Last edited:

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
With a paper towel, wipe the inside of the rubber seal around the door (reach into the washer and bring it in from that direction). Check your instructions for how to clean the tub. For ours, pout one cup of beach directly in the tub and set the cycle to "clean." Really makes a difference

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Actually, my Whirlpool clothes washer is a newer "impeller" model that has no central agitator and is considered a high-efficiency model (in fact, it requires the use of HE-type detergents). Like I said, I keep the lid open for 4-5 hours after using it and so far no issues. :)

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Add ½ cup of white vinegar to the front loader when putting in the clothes. Kills, mould, mildew and most nasty smells. Hang outside to dry if possible. Wipe out the machine and leave the door ajar to dry after use. Have husband and front loader :)

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Actually, my Whirlpool clothes washer is a newer "impeller" model that has no central agitator and is considered a high-efficiency model (in fact, it requires the use of HE-type detergents). Like I said, I keep the lid open for 4-5 hours after using it and so far no issues. :)

Watch out we found a stinking dead mouse in there after dumping clothes in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.